Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went to the hospital tonight......

sajemsha Guest

Thumbs down Went to the hospital tonight......

I couldn't sleep because I felt like I was busting to go to pee, for hours, it was getting painful when I did, so I went to the hospital emergancy and turns out the I've got a urinary tract infection (this will be my first eeeek) I have to drink this dreadful stuff and drink heeps of water to flush it out and go back to the hospital in the morning to see the doc for antib's. It's just so awful :frown: They said it could take the next few hours to settle, so hears to a sleepless night...

I have just recovered from a UTI, they are the pits aren't they? Good news is that the antibiotics work fairly quickly. Did they give you ural? I found the cranberry ural really good.

I hope you recover soon.

i had so mant uti 's while i was pg but prior to that i had never had one so i hope it clears for you soon anti biotics clears it up really quick thank goodness

i had uti quite a while ago, not while preg, and found that taking cranberry tablets and drinking cranberry juice sorted it out. Never went to doctors. I read somewhere that cranberry juice helps line the bladder, which stops all the nastys from sticking. Not sure, but it certainly helped me.

Be careful of cranberry tablets, Iwas taking some from the health food shop a few months ago and after a day or two read the label and it said not to take while breastfeeding, which surprised me, so I would check to see if its ok while you are pg.

Melinda Guest

Ural isn't recommended during PG - it can increase your BP according to the pharmacist I asked about it!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

sajemsha Guest

Unhappy update....

Well I didn't manage to get even a minutes sleep last night, I spent 3 hours at the hospital this morning to see the Doc, he said I had a bladder infection and I'm now got anti biotics, I hope they work fast because I'm still in a lot of pain. The nurse gave me ural last night, it was disgusting, but they didn't say to take any more. I'm just drinking heeps of water, I drank over 6 litres during the night, so it was drink - pee all night long. I watched DVD's all night.
    I'll definatly get some cranberry juice. I feel for anyone that has had this type of thing, it's so awful, thanks girls for your support, I'll let you know how I'm sailing tonight :frown:

Melinda Guest

Yeah I wonder if it was Ural or something else?! I think it's due to the salt content of it that it's not recommended during PG?? The salt can increase your BP?

Melinda Guest

The antibiotics should give you some relief within 24 hours and drinking plenty of fluid is very good as it dilutes the urine.

I got really bad UTIís when I was younger caused by lots of sex with my boyfriend in the back of his commodore (DH now) haha. I would try to drink lots of water to clear them up, little did I know I was just masking the pain of the infection but it was still there but it just didnít feel like it. I ended up getting kidney stones from it, OUCHHHHH! God that hurt! :frown:

Melinda Guest

Oh yes, BTDT with kidney stones - the pain is excruitiating!

I suffered terrible UTI's throughout my pregnancy and till then had not suffered so this hit me like a tonne of bricks.

There are certain Cranberry Tablets that you can take during pregnancy - pop into your health food store and ask someone that knows - be sure to tell them that you're pregnant - as there ones that you need to stay away from - I can definitely tell you that they work.

If your'e going to start drinking Cranberry Juice - try and get the sugar free one - Ocean Spray makes one - as something about the sugar in normal Cranberry Juice takes away the benefits of the cranberry - iykwim.

If all else fails - there are things/tonics you can get that are pregnancy friendly from a naturopath - but again just depends how bad and how often you get them (the UTI that is) - I SUFFERED BADLY - so know how you feel - hugs hope you feel better soon.

Hugs Rose. I too have had a UTI, and that culpret - hot, wild, passionate sex did it to me. I hope the a/b's have kicked in and you can get some sleep.

Ooh - I feel for you Rose! I'm the same - I had heaps of them when I was younger (and yes from sex) It's often if you don't go to the toilet before and after the deed that can bring them on....I haven't had one for years due to being diligent with it!!
    They are sooo horrible and I would go and get antibiotics straight away as things like ural didn't do anything for me.
    I've had one kidney infection from it and had to spend about 3 or 4 days in hospital with iv anitibiotics! FUN!
    The antibiotics for me work withing a couple of hours so hope your feeling heaps of better now!

Ural will do nothing for your UTI apart from helping to reduce the burning senation.

Oh you poor thing.
    I never had one until 5 weeks After Marnie was born. So i was trying to recover from an emergency c/s and a UTI - I had no idea what they were.
    I took Ural, cranberry tablets (blackmores I think) and drank water.
    GOOD LUCK!

sajemsha Guest

Thumbs up Update

Goodness me, yep must of been the wild pasionate sex that Dh and I had in the back of the car last week :biggrin:
    Anyways, I've been on antib's since yesterday and I can finally pee, pain free! I'm feeling alot better, a bit sick from the huge amounts of water, but much better Thank goodness!
    I still have to get the juice (without sugar) that should be real nice, but I never want to go through that again.
    I managed to catch up on about 4 hours sleep yesterday and I slept last night, so I'm not so tired today.
    Thanks for your support, at least I know I'm not alone, your all so sweet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast