Thread: What are belly belts ?

Fruitwood Guest

Default What are belly belts ?

Hi, alot of people have suggested to me to try belly belts first before buying maternity clothes. Only problem is I have no idea what a belly belt is and haven't been able to find them anywhere in any of my local shopping centres. Even alot of salesgirls don't know what i'm asking for, lol. Hopefully someone will be able to help me out with these questions.

What is a belly belt ?
    Where do you buy them from ?
    What do they normally cost ?
    Are they a better alternative to buying maternity clothes ?

Thanks so much for your help
    Sharon

getinmybelly!! Guest

If you do a google search on belly belts it will show you what they are.

You clip them to the waisteband of you pants or skirts and they give you extra room in non-maternity clothes. In this way they can be an alternative to mat clothes.

I would think most maternity clothes shops would stock them. You may even be able to order them online.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I have seen them in Target too, in the maternity clothes section hanging on things on the side of the racks.

Melinda Guest

I got mine at Target and I think it was around $30? I'm not exactly sure.

I got mine at Target as well for about $30.

They have three panels - white black denim so they can go with most pants. They also have three different sizes in the pack which I suppose are supposed to correspond with the 3 trimesters.

Personally I didn't use mine all the much after I got too big for the smallest belt. My pants just seemed to bulge where the panel was & it did'nt look very nice at all, but for the first part it was a godsend.

Just remember too that you will have to have longer tops on with the belts - your zipper is undone with them & although there's a panel to cover the gap you won't want it showing.

I have seen them at Target and Bras n Things for about $30, have been trying to decide whether or not it is worth me getting one.

Melinda Guest

I got limited use with mine too Sarah. It's hard to find longer tops to cover the belly belt too, which I found annoying and I ended up buying a belly pod (kind of like a boob tube, but for tummies!) which covered it over, so I got more use out of it that way, as then I could wear normal-lengthed clothes (it looked like I was wearing another top underneath IYKWIM?). But in the end I got too big anyway and found it much more comfortable to simply wear maternity trousers and tops!

melinda - i have found the same thing with the 'belly pod' like a wide elastic band to wear around your tummy.

i bought the belly belt too, but havent used it anywhere near as much as i thought i would. same problem, the bulge of it and needing to wear really long tops.

i got my belly band from a girl on ebay, her name is 4mumstums (i hope i am allowed to write that on here - feel free to delete it mods if it is not ok), and it was only $9 plus $2 postage and that to me has been of so much more use than the belly belts.

i guess in regards to your question of if they are a better alternative to maternity clothes, the truth is, even if you get one, you will definately need mat clothes as well. so you could think of it as an extra, but not really an alternative.

HTH

Linda

I have bought a belly belt and am currently getting good use out of it. my tops that I wear are all a bit longer at the moment (due to it being cooler) so the buldge the belt causes is not that much of a problem for me and it really isn't that visible.

When it gets hotter I will mainly be living in skirts with elastic waists.

I got my belly belt from babies galore as the target that I went to didn't stock them.

Fruitwood Guest

Hi, thanks for your replies. We don't have a Target store nearby or any maternity or baby stores so that's probably why I haven't been able to find anything. I'll have a look online and see if I can find somewhere that does mail order deliveries.

Thanks again for your help
    Sharon