Thread: What to expect at first antenatal visit?

siren Guest

Default What to expect at first antenatal visit?

Hello all. I am going for my first antenatal visit soon and I am unsure as to what I should expect with my first visit. Can anyone out there shed some light on the subject?

What sort of tests will be involved and what type of questions asked etc, etc?

Thanks

At my first visit, the ob asked when my last period was and formed an EDD, gave me his brochures, took a urine sample, felt my abdominal area, asked about my previous pregnancy/birth, asked when my last pap smear was, gave me a referral for blood tests, and asked if I had any questions. I discussed with him his views on c-section deliveries.

hmm....

I have heard several women say that their ob has checked thier breasts, my dr has not said anything about it to me, is it a normal thing to have breats checked?

oww. that is very comforting to hear - was worriedthat my ob was not being completey thorough, I should have a little more faith I guess..

My GP, although thorough, has said he didn't need to confirm my pregnancy. He got me to have every blood test under the sun though, (just not one confirming). Then my first midwife appointment, was just filling out forms with the midwife, such as domestic violence, health history etc. They said they don't weigh so I was quite relieved by that!! My next appointment of anysort (apart from u/s) is at about 15 weeks, with the Dr at the hospital, just to decide if I need a pap smear (have had trouble in the past). xo

Cynthaz Guest

I was asked where I wanted to have the baby and who did I want to deliver it. I had no idea! Other than that, my GP does a blood pressure check every month and that's been pretty much it, apart from an initial blood test.

My GP didn't do much at all! A urine test that wasn't an overly strong result (afternoon) and is now monitoring HCG levels. We did talk about miscarriage though. Nothing mentioned about booking in with my OB although we did discuss who I wanted to use when I went for my pre-conception bloodwork, pap test and breast check.

I guess they are all different.