Thread: What happens at GP?

Default What happens at GP?

I went to the GP to tell him I'm pregnant and he did nothing! He just said congratulations. So I asked him for a referral to the midwives at the hospital. I thought from memory of last time that they gave you a card to fill in, weighed and measured you etc.

Also some people seem to have blood tests, why is that? I had one last time but that was an IVF pregnancy. I would like to know my HCG levels just to put my mind at rest.

When ever ive gone they sent me for BT to get my blood group, Rh, rubella and a few other things. Went over previous pregnancies and the outcome.

OMG Sarah!!! What wonderful news!!!

Go back to the doctor, ask them for a blood test and then for a follow up two days later to confirm that HCG levels are rising. Then, be really cheeky and demand that they give you an early ultrasound too so you can get an early gimpse of your precious little miracle!!!

Soooooooooooo excited for you!!!

My doc gave me referral for HCG blood tests but only because I had a m/c with my 1st pg. Apart from that he said that if I already took a HPT and it was positive then he didn't need to do another one and just asked me which OB I wanted a referral for.

Congrats on the pregnancy Sarah.

I went to the docs today for my first appointment - just to get the referral to the birth centre I would like to birth at (she checked my blood pressure, weight etc), and to get a referral to pathology to have the blood and urine test results required by the birth centre (blood group and antibody screen, rubella, syphillis, hepatitis B,C & HIV etc).

That is all you need!! Once you have the results from the blood & urine they should send that back to your doctor and they will ask to see you if necessary and forward the results to the place you are choosing to birth at.

HTH,

X

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!! My GP was the same when I saw her, a heart felt congratulations and a referral to an OB.

I did ask when I saw her a couple of months later why she didn't do bloods etc and she said that she didn't think it was necessary to monitor the HCG levels. She felt that monitoring them just causes women to stress if they aren't rising quickly enough (there are a heap of posts on BB along these lines) and that if you are going to miscarry you will/won't whether you are monitoring the levels or not. If anything, the stress of knowing they aren't rising quickly enough can add to the liklihood of miscarrying. Then, when I had my first appt with the OB he gave me a referral for all the blood tests (rubella, HIV etc).