Thread: what are they going to do?

Default what are they going to do?

i made my first antenatal appointment at the hospital weeks ago, and it coming up next week! so excited, and they said to allow three hours.... and i assumed that it would include an ultrasound, but am i right to assume that? cos i really hope im getting one! i didnt even ask what they are going to do... so what do they do at the first appt?
    i will be in week 11.

Hi bluetree,
    Firstly Congratulations! Hospitals differ, Mine just gets the basics, blood type, past history, past pregnancies ( If you have any)... mine ask me about domestic violence (standard procedure), and its also like a antenatal appointment. Sometimes they so a quick ultrasound to make sure everything is alright...

I cant think of anything else atm so i hope someone else will fill in what i missed. It also depends if your going private or public.
    Goodluck

First appt for me included a brief history with a midwife, including past pg's (including any miscarriages etc....), height, weight, whether you smoke or not, blood pressure, then she made an appt with the ob. He then ordered blood tests (full blood workup), an ultrasound. As scorpiomum said, it also depends if you are going public or private. Congratulations.

congrats on the pregnancy.
    my 1st hospital app was disappointing. They discussed pervious history with 1st preg and delivery. Took my weight and height. Talked about how I was feeling and we asked questions on possible VBAC.
    Then they said come back at 20 weeks......
    I was upset as I saw Dr every 4 weeks with 1st preg this time it is different.
    I have my 1st scan on wednesday but I booked that seperatly as my hospital doesnt offer 12 week scan only a 20 week one.

Good luck I hope your app is more exciting than mine. If they say to allow 3 hours it prob will be more thorough

I have mine on Tuesday this week & have to allow two hours, one for registering at admissions as a patient then the second hour for the antenatal appointment which includes all the stuff the others mentioned.

I had my first appoitnemnt at about 10 weeks and was told to allow around 2 hours. I didnt get an ultrasound that day. You probably wont get an ultrasound - its not really routine to do one at 11 weeks in public hospital. We discussed;
    - detailed medical history including info on any allergies I have, medications i take, surgery I have had, medical conditions in me and my family, depression and a few other things that I cant remember now. I had already had my blood tests a week earlier so she had a look at the results of that.
    - how we felt about the pregnancy
    - midwife took my blood pressure
    - talked a little about ultrasounds (when to have them and how to book them) and upcoming appointments.
    - domestic violence questions
    - past pregnancies and births
    she also gave me a few little booklets and info about the hospital and other things like listeria, exercises to do while pregnant and stuff like that.
    They considered me low risk so I ddint have my next appointment with them until 20 weeks.