Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did you have your first u/s?

Default When did you have your first u/s?

Hey there,

Have just found out I am 4.5wks pg & after having my second b/t confirmed today with a level of 636 (the nurse said that was good), I was told to phone tomorrow & book an U/Sound in 3 weeks.

Anyway just wanting to know is it normal to have it that early?

Jo - 27 (treated endo)
    Dh - 33
    TTC #1 since June 2005
    Second chlomid / IUI March 2007 -

I had one at 7 1/2 weeks, as I'd had a molar pregnancy in the past, and they wanted to rule that out.

Elle Guest

Hi DJTTC,

Congrats on your preg!

Alot of doctors do early u/s for many reasons. If you have had problems in the past with m/c or ectopic, that type of thing, will get them to do early u/s, I have early ones with my pgs due to problems.

It can also be used to confirm dates if you aren't sure. Some docs don't do them until 13 weeks or more, some just do an early one just becuase! When you call tomorrow, ask them why they do early u/s if you are worried about it. On the up side, you will get to see the heart beat (from about 6wks) and know your dates early on.

Good luck

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

I lot FS or assisted conception pregnancies have heartbeat and to check no. of baby scans :wink:.

I've always had fairly early scans (5/6 weeks and again at about 10 weeks) because I've had a couple of missed miscarriages.
    But I'd imagine in your case that it's what baby-amore suggested - checking for multiples

Congrats on your bfp you must be absolutely thrilled!

My advice..... take the earliest scan you can get!!!!!!
    I didnt have a scan till 16w, and that was due to a small bleed..... more due to a stressed out mum2b!!!!!!!
    otherwise, my first u/s would have been at 20 weeks!
    I wish I had have pushed for an early u/s, as my dates are completely stuffed now, due to not having any u/s in first 12 w.
    Early u/s are not usually due to any huge probs. Enjoy seeing your little one for the first time!!!!! Cos it really sucks having to wait!!!

Enjoy!

Congrats on your preg. I had my 1st scan at 5weeks, (due to problem) and then again at my first app with my ob at about 9 weeks i think.

Congrats on you BFP!

I'm having my first scan on Tuesday and I'll be 6 weeks PG by then. It is a bit early but I've been having some spotting and doctor wants to make sure all is ok.

it depends if u know ur dates... if u are sure on your lmp and theres no probs they usually dnt do one... i was sure about my lmp but at about 6 weeks had some pains and they wanted to check for ectopic... as has been said every dr is different though just ask them if u are worried

Congratulations on your BFP!
    I have just had a scan at 6 weeks to check everything is ok, as I have had some abdominal cramping (turns out it is a cyst that is where I ovulated from, the corpus luteum or something, but normal and nothing to worry about).

It was great to see the little thing where it is meant to be, and to see the little heart beating away. It is surreal to think that that little being is inside you! It made it more real for DH too.

Good luck!

Congrats on the BFP..

I am 7 weeks today and having my first u/s on Wednesday. I was on IVF so new very early. We IVF'ers have an early scan so they can see if all ok, make sure not ectopic and to find the heartbeat (or maybe heartbeats in my case...we shall see).

So dont fret..lots of people have early ones for one reason or another.

Me - am soooo excited to see whats going on..

Good-luck.........Lulu

Hi all,

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, I actually made my appointment today & can't get in till 4 weeks so I guess if there was a prob. they would be trying to get me in sooner.
    I asked if it was normal & the lady said it was to confirm pg, huh?

Jo - 27 (treated endo)
    Dh - 33
    TTC #1 since June 2005
    Second chlomid / IUI March 2007 -

Congrat on pg! What the nurse meams by confirm pg is to make sure there is a heart beat and its not a blighted ovum meaning that there is a baby and not just a sac - sometimes the pg starts the baby dies and the sac is there and you have all the symtoms of pg - I'm sure you are doing fine and will have that little baby in your arms before you know it- enjoy your pregnancy.

No dr wanted to see me till after 14 weeks they told me not to bother with the NT scan as I'm only 20 and to go away and not come back unless their was a problem. Bubs didn't like this and wanted to be seen so gave mum2b a scare with a threatened miscarriage so I had my first at 5+3wks and will be going back to get the NT scan done soon as I'm 9wks this week :-)

But don't fret if you don't get one early you can't really see much lol its just this tiny black blob hehe. Congrats and stay calm best advice I can give

noobie Guest

Default first scan confusion

My GP gave me blood tests and cervical smear at 4 weeks, then I went back to him to get a referral for the Women's Health Centre and I've got an appointment this Friday. (13 weeks)

I thought at first this appointment included a scan but after reading information on their website I don't think it does. I'm a bit dissapointed as we have been really excited about the scan, my husband has taken time off work for the appointment and now I realise that the appointment will probably only involve taking my medical history. :-(

If you go private, can you get in for a 12 week scan at short notice? I have private health but I've opted to go through the public system for prenatal checks and use the private as a back up if I'm not happy with anything.

I'm just not sure if I should wait until my appointment at the end of this week, or just go ahead and book an early scan through my private insurance and then continue on with the usual 20 week scan through the public system.? Does that sound logical? ;-)

i had my first scan at 4/5 weeks because we weren't precise on dates and i had pain on the right hand side. they could see sac and a blip so i had to come back in 10 days. that scan showed smudge and heartbeat, so we were in business.

i'm going back for week 12/NT late this week. (any excuse to see 'the calf')

If you go to your normal GP noobie they can give you a referral to a place that does ultrasounds. I was cramping and they gave me a form, like a blood test form and I booked in at the nearest one near me, I think they are called Melbourne radiology on the Monday. You have to pay around $170, but get about $90 back on Medicare.

I had my first scan when i was 18 and a half weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast