Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did you/will you start buying baby gear?

layla Guest

Default When did you/will you start buying baby gear?

Well, after having two kids we were unsure if we would have another so we sold/gave away ALL of our baby gear. We figured even if we did have another it would be a fair way down the track so we were better off to sell what we had before it got outdated.
    Anyway, here we are pg with number three and we need to start from scratch. (Which I'm actually really pleased about as I LOVE shopping for baby stuff!)
    I just can't imagine at what stage I'll be ready to walk in to a baby shop and look at buying a cot!!
    I'm dying to get the room set up but I feel like it's way too soon to be doing that. When did you all start getting all your baby gear?
    I guess everyone is different but I'm really nervous about buying stuff at this stage. 8-[

layla, we were one of those crazy couples that were completely consumed by our excitement and had our cot and our change table set by about 10 weeks PG! we are now completely set up, Jackson's room is all finnished and we have pram, car seat etc.

don't worry about being scared it is too early to buy stuff, if you really want to, just make sure anything you buy can be refunded.

Layla,
    I am excited too & cannot wait, our new house has feature walls in all the bedrooms, Maddy chose the purple room & at the time said when we get a baby brother he can have the blue room, not sure if that's what we will get or not? But we set it up as her toy/play room as it was taking so long!!!! So I guess I will get my cot back etc closer to the time, don't want to jinx myself!!!

My G/F got 2 glowworms & gave me one, I am paranoid about it being there but oh well!

I started buying baby stuff when I was around 20 weeks.

I pretty much waited until after my 18weeks scan, so I knew what sex I was buying for. I was very nervous about buying anything as well, was convinced I would jinx myself or something. We didnt have Aidyns room completely set up until a month or so before his birth, as we did not have enough money to buy everything at once.

We reluctantly brought our Bertini Pram when I was only 10 weeks, both of us thought it was too early but it was too much of a great deal to pass by. I then waited until I had my 20 wk scan before we brought anything else.

Take Care

Deeanne

Layla, i think it's a good idea to get all of the bigger items out of the way before you get to far into the pregnancy, whilst you are feeling ok because as the EDD gets closer you probably won't feel like shopping for such big things. Good luck and happy shopping, it's great fun.
    Hope all is well , take care Leah

We chose the items together and then during the 9 days that I was in hospital (after giving birth via c-section) DH purchased them. I just didn't want anything in the house until we has a healthy baby! :-s

I have just started buying things now. Bought a new bonnet, mittens, booties and bib set last week and a Tickle me elmo and tickle-me cookie monster on Ebay yesterday. So I have started small...not sure why I bought the toys.

We will be buying the big things in the next month.

Gemma.

I started getting stuff as soon as I found out i was preg. Big stuff from 2nd Trimester. I had Kamerons room all set and ready to go when I was 7mths all I need was the baby.

Love

Scarlett Guest

We started buying stuff as soon as we knew. Whenever anyone had a sale we would layby what we could afford and then pay it off. This way we didn't have to store a lot of stuff for months on end but got it at a really good price.

We're the odd ones out, we bought our first wondersuit at 20 weeks PG and then didn't buy anything more until 30 weeks.... except supermarket stuff... like nappies, wipes, bath stuff etc we started buying one thing every week from around 20 weeks.

we've only just started buying things in the last few weeks as we thought there was not much point as we were moving states.
    i love baby shopping though and would of started the moment we got that bfp if i could of LOL

all we really need now is a cot, we have been given so many things

take care
    LEsley

layla Guest

I guess everyone is different!
    I think we'll probably wait until the next scan (19 weeks) and then go for it. Hopefully we will know the sex of the baby then so we can buy appropriately.
    (In the mean time I have a LOT of stuff to relocate from the spare room before it even starts to resemble a nursery! #-o)

I bought a magazine called "Buying for baby" so I'm going to start getting ideas from that. I LOVE SHOPPING!!!!
    Everyone keeps saying to me that because I've had 2 kids already I'll know what I really need and what we can do without but everything is so trendy these days that I want one of everything.
    When I had the other two everything wwas pastel coloured, Blergh!!

I bought my cradle at about 10w, but left all the bigger stuff until about 18w after our scan, laybyed it & got it out 3w ago. I was dying to buy the big things earlier, but Aaron wanted to make sure the munchkin was ok before we bought anything big.

However, I got my BFP at 7am and by the time I got the BT results at 7pm, my parents & sisters had bought several outfits, bunny rugs etc. And from the minute we knew I was buying supermarket stuff & just adding it to a box (which is now his toybox).

Unfortunately - because I love shopping - I don't have to buy very much because we kept most of it from my DD. Yeah I know 7 years was a long time to hoard it but we had the space so....

Anyway, I was about 9 weeks when I allowed myself to go through some of my DD's newborn clothes boxes to see what was worth keeping. Most of it wasn't as DD was a vomiter and so it was all stained and needs replacing... oh what a shame!

We have cots, car seats, prams etc however we had to buy a new change table this time and we got that about 11 weeks because it was a bargain that couldn't be refused, and also the model I wanted.

I'm slowly starting to look at clothes now but as I don't know the sex and wont find out, I'm just looking for suitably neutral colours - I HATE lemon and mint - and will slowly build up clothes until Squishy arrives.

Last week I started throwing in a packet of wipes in with the supermarket shopping and will continue each week to ease the burden later on.

But I say, shop when you find what you want and when you can afford/budget for it.

Cheers,

Rachel

*Megan* Guest

HI Layla

I was really nervous that something was going to happen to the baby, so didn't really buy anything until about 12 weeks - then after the 19 week scan, we have started to think more seriously about the nursery, themes etc - the main rationale for this was that we wanted to find out if it was a boy or a girl....

It is so much fun deciding though!

Megan

we are lucky because we started this tradition when my sis had her first when we found out she was pg me and my other sister started a hamper. bought one thing every week like powders, dummies, creams etc, a month before we buy a baby bath, put all the goodies in there and wrap it in cellophane and she never had to buy any of the bits and pieces.

i know that they have done this for me and DH too, so we only needed to worry about the bigger stuff like pram and cot and seat etc.

dont ya just loooooove aunties!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast