Thread: When to have first scan?

mards Guest

Default When to have first scan?

I've just come back from a Dr appointment to organise my first US. When I asked when I should get it done, she said the baby has a heartbeat, so I can go anytime from now :-k I thought the first one was done around the 12 week mark? Would there be any benefit in waiting until then or should I go when I'm 10 weeks or so?

Thanks!

have you booked into a hospital ?? The 12wk one is when the hospital usually does their nuchal fold testing to check for down syndrome etc, so I wouldn't have it done any earlier than then. Some people do have a "dating" scan at 6 or 7 wks if they are unsure of when they conceived.

Love

My only u/s booked when I was PG with Matilda was the 18-20week scan, but because we had a m/c scare we did one at 9 weeks as well. This time around I had to ask for a 12 week scan even though the midwives & my GP have tried to talk me out of it saying it won't serve any purpose... so we are still deciding if its worth going to it. As long as I can hear the hb on doppler I will be happy.

Fee Guest

My OB did an internal scan in his office at my first OB appointment. I guess it was just a freebie and to see how things were.

My first scan with the sonographer (NT scan) was at 13w6d. This is the "12 week" scan.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

The place where I went doesn't do ultrasounds until 19 weeks and I then had another at 24 weeks because she wanted to get another look at measurements and baby's heart (apparently she didn't get a good enough look the first time). So maybe ring up where you are going to go and see when they advise you to get your first one.

I had a dating scan at 5 weeks 4 days but only because we were unsure of dates.. as we didnt want to test for down syndrome, my next scan is my 18-20 week scan next week.. so without the dating scan next weeks would have been my first..

mards Guest

Thanks girls When I asked my GP for a referral to get a scan she put on it that I want to see the position of the baby etc, so I'm assuming she hasn't specified to check for Downs? I just assumed this would be included? Do I need to ring and ask or just organise a scan at 12 weeks and add that I want the NT scan done?

With my referal it only said obstetric ultrasound. I would say go when you are 12 weeks and they'll most probably automatically do the NT measurement.