Thread: When to tell work???

Default When to tell work???

When is it fair to tell work that you're expecting? I want to wait until 12 weeks but (aside from the excitement of it all!) I don't know if that's fair on them. I'm an office manager (in a small firm), so it's not just like they'll be able to get someone else in the office to cover my job while I'm on maternity leave.

To make matters more complicated, another girl in the office is 15 weeks and told everyone at about 7 weeks... which makes me feel like I'm not doing the right thing by holding out for so long.

I AM still going to wait until after my 12 week ultrasound, but I'm concerned my boss will think I've been unfair by 'holding out' for so long... on the other hand, it's not like they would start to work out a replacement for me this early anyway!!

Sorry for rambling but every time I come to work I feel a bit guilty that they rely on me so much and I'll be gone in a few months!!!

Custardtart Guest

I reckon it's perfectly acceptable to hold out until 12 weeks - that is the 'traditional' time when it is considered safe to tell people. You're still giving them the better part of six months to find a replacement, if that isn't enough time that they can't run a business without you, then they need a management overhaul!

Don't let anyone make you feel guilty, this is your personal life and your decisions shouldn't be influenced by what someone else did.

Kerrie

Your boss does not need to know how soon you found out, you could always say you wanted to wait til past 12 weeks in case!?
    That's your choice & no they would not be already looking for anyone yet anyways!!!

I'd just say I just found out & I am about 10-12 wks & will let you know then once all is OK I'd then tell them... Don't worry at the end of the day it's just a job & unfortunately we are all replacable!!!!

Thanks, girls. You're both right... it's just a job!! I'll definitely be holding out until after my first U/S to tell them all.

I'm just a super organised person so it feels weird knowing I'm going to have to train someone to do my job, but not actually doing anything about it yet!

i was the same, wanted to get someone in and trained so i knew i wa leaving my job to someone capable.

but work decided not to hire someone until 3 weeks ago and i leave tomorrow so i have had to cram all m y trining into three weeks, and that was not fun, and the result is i dont think she is anyhere near ready to do the job.

but i am not going to stress about it anymore, i have done all i can do.

i agree with the other gals, tell em ehwn you are ready to tell them and not before.

I took 7 wks of 2 yrs ago to travel & trained a lady the last 5 days of my week!!! I am taking 6 moinths off for mat leave & know they will only let me train someone for a week or 2!! Oh well that's their problem!!!

So dont stress!