Thread: Your first u/s.. were you nervous???

Default Your first u/s.. were you nervous???

Hiya ladies....

I am booked in on Monday for my first u/s & to be honest I am a little scared... I am just worried that they wont find a heartbeat or that bubba has stopped growing...

I have had next to no symptoms & this helps add to the anxiety....

Help any suggestions to stop me going mad between now & Monday?

Thanks for reading...

Mitch

Hi Mitch, I was really nervous before my first ultrasound too. I had barely any symptoms so I was worried that I would be told that I wasn't pregnant or that the baby had stopped so I know how you're feeling. I think its normal to have no symptoms - lots of people don't have noticable symptoms.
    I don't really have any ideas on how to stop yourself from stressing other than to suggest that you try and keep yourself busy. Make you could go on a date with your DH and/or your girlfriends or go for a day trip over the weekend.

mitch
    i can so relate to what your saying!! i was exactly the same i nearly sent myself over the edge. i cryed for days didn't sleep or eat very well at all which just compounded the feelings of something going wrong. It was a horrible place to be at when your supposed to be so happy your pg i got a lot of help from my sister and friends and of course the girls here at belly belly and i think i f you talk through your anxieties the seem to lessen the more you hear yourself say them but this is only me and my 2 cents worth and i hope you find your way of coping well my Dh forced me in the car drove me to the scan not a word was spoken, i had the scan and i put myself anywhere but there( nice beach sipping a nice stiff drink 8-[ ) until my Dh made me look at him and then screen to show me everything is alright and there was a beautiful strong hb. it does get easier as the days go on but i must admit i had a smaller not so dramatic episode yesterday before my 8 week scan and hopefully by the next scan i will be a little better again take time to care for yourself and try to get out of the house go for a stroll or something that you don't have to think to hard to do

i am sure everything is just fine

Hi there

The only thing I can suggest is to think positive - I know that sounds like a cliche - but in all honesty - women have been popping out babies for a trillion years - I know it's hard not to think the worst but again - thinking about it to the point where you make your self sick isn't going to help you or your little bubba.

I made myself sick with anxiety - the What If's?? but at the end of the day if it's meant to be, it's meant to be - this is just another hurdle to get through in pregnancy - I've taken up yoga and meditation to try and eleviate my mind activity - maybe you can do something like this - or even just do something you enjoyed prior to be pregnant - that doesn't include alcohol or cigarettes 8-[ (one of my many vices, prior to clean living \/ )

anyway - not long to go now and it will all be over soon - I'm sure you will enjoy the experience - the 12 week scan shows so much it made me LOL to finally see my little friend - I'm looking forward to meeting him or her in person - as I'm sure you are - keep smiling O

dianna

Mitch,

I wasn't too bad for my first one at 8wks. It was definitely in the back of my mind what a goose I'd look like if it turned out I wasn't pregnant (especially since the GP had asked me coz of the spotting I'd had.. do you still -feel- pregnant?.. I hadn't felt pregant before that!)

It was just an amazing thing to hear that heartbeat tho

Got to admit, I'm now more nervous about my upcoming 19wk scan! My symptoms (what I had of them) have subsided, I haven't grown any type of belly yet.. and of course I can't feel bubs moving yet to reassure me... so I'm wondering now how baby's going.

I think the worry is a continuous thing in pregnancy. I'm not enjoying it like I thought I would coz of niggling worries.

I'm sure you'll be fine, and come Monday, you'll be back in here excitedly posting about your little one's heartbeat

I'll send you some :bluestick: inkstick:

angel_eyes Guest

I was extremely nervous before my first ultrasound, especially since my m/s stopped all together about 3 weeks beforehand and even then only lasted 2 weeks.

When the day arrived I was really relaxed and nearly popped out of my skin as soon as they put the thingy on my tummy and bubs appeared.

It was the most amazing thing I've ever experienced.

I'm sure everything will be fine but you probably won't stop worrying until to see bubs for yourself.

I was worried out of my brain with my first scan at 9wks, yet sadly resigned that I might be losing bubs as I'd been cramping and spotting that week. Couldn't believe the little heart beating away on the screen and little squishy bouncing around.

Still nervous at 20wk scan because I'd read WAY too much literature about all of the things that could be detected at the 2nd trimester ultrasound. In the end was totally relieved to hear bubs looked healthy!

Ivana - please don't stress out too much over not 'looking pregnant'. At almost 20wks, I had a belly flatter than most people have being non-pregnant. Have suddenly popped in the last fortnight but was still getting 'you are so not pregnant' at 25wks pregnant!

One little side note; try to find an ultrasound place with a sonographer that has a GOOD bedside manner? IMHO, asking a very nervous, first-time mother whether she'd had the pregnancy confirmed or simply not saying anything for 5mins is not good!

We worry about these lil' tackers from the moment they are conceived dont we?! Must be getting us in training for their arrival!

Hi there All

Probably the only other thing I can advise when it comes to scans is that you check with the place you are having the scan done that you will indeed be taking home your results that day.

I had an experience at my 19week scan that involved having to wait until the following Monday to get my results - mind you they were done on the Wednesday before and given that it took 3hours and 3 sonographers to get the job done and then being sent home with no results as it was "hospital policy" not to release the results to the patient.....OMIGOD - was the only thing going through my mind - especially since it took so long and the "GUY" doing it was hopeless. Turns out it was because the Bub was moving so much - obviously camera shy :-$

Needless to say the wait was gruelling - when i finally got my results (all OK Thank God) I was so overwhelmed I burst into tears in the midwifes office - again needless to say this was not the first time - I've been a tad emotional throughout my pregnancy..... O

So maybe it's best you double check before having the scan done that you will be taking home the results that day..... :-s

Dianna

mitch,

i think it is quite normal to feel this way before a scan, just your way of preparing yourself for the worst. i guess the truth is though, that it doesnt end there, at least not for me. even though i know bub is healthy, i still worry something will be wrong when it is born, and i have no valid reason to think this!!

try to relax and enjoy the ride!!

Linda

I'm with everyone else, totally normal to be worried about it. I got to the point where I purposely wouldn't look at the date or count down how long until the next scan to try and help me stop worrying.

I have my second ultrasound tomorrow and I am exactly the same as you. As pp said try to think positive, I know its hard but I think it does help. My last ultrasound was 6 weeks ago and I was soooo looking forward for this one, but now, I am really scared. I have a bit of morning sickness but otherwise, I havent put on any weight and havent got a "belly" as yet either. So my mind starts the "what ifs". I think it is natural to worry. Try to keep busy and before you know it will be Monday and you will see your little one.

Hun, Im sure all will be ok, it's a bit of both nervousness and excitement. O

Hi Mitch

I was really scared having my 1st u/s. I thought that bub was going to be in the wrong spot or something... and also just a bit scared as i didnt know what to expect. Was fine when i got in there and found out all was well.

Dont be suprised at how hard the u/s person pushes tho!!! It hurt a bit!

Take care and good luck

Yeah I had to have a full bladder.. and when she pushed down with the scanner it was most uncomfortable! hehe.

Debbie Lee Guest

I was also nervous leading up to the first ultrasound. I too was worried that the baby wouldn't have a heart beat or there would be something wrong.
    I was also scared that the sonographer was going to be nasty about my belly because it was already fat and flabby with stretch marks!
    Thankfully it was a fantastic experience that I will never forget! We could see Gabby floating around in there having the time of her life. I was mesmerised! I didn't get to hear the heartbeat that day but we definitely saw it. Such a tiny little thing beating away!!
    I got to hear the heartbeat later on in the pregancy and that was reeeeallly cool!

Mitch - you will be fine. Once you get in there and see your little bubba on that screen, all your fears will disappear and you will be totally amazed!!