thread: 1st trimester combined screening test

Mar 2009

1st trimester combined screening test

Hi all.

Can anyone clarify for me when bloods should be taken for the 1st trimester combined screening test? I thought it was at 10 weeks??

TIA

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

if they are taken around 10 weeks the results are available when you have your scan at 12 weeks-ish. i think i had mine at 10.5 weeks by the time i managed to get in and see the doctor...

Mar 2009

Thanks Briggy's girl. Did your GP give you the referral for the ultrasound and the bloods?

I'm not seeing my Obstetrician until after my 12 week scan.

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

yeah i couldn't get in to see the hospital care providers til 13 weeks (and OB not til 15.5) so i just said to my GP that i wanted the combined tests. he did ask why as the referral is supposed to just be for older people or those with significant risk but due to having a close family member with a condition similar to DS he did it in a heartbeat - i walked across the road, got my bloods taken that day and booked the scan that arvo

Nov 2005
    Sunshine Coast

I was told the bloods should be taken 2 days before the U/S by my GP and 2-3 days before the U/S by the U/S place. I was given both referals at the same time by my GP. GP said they had to be done between 11 & 13 weeks.

Nov 2006

I had my bloods and scan on the same day. I thought it was between 11-13wks that you needed to get it done. My ob did the scan at first appt (he does have an advanced degree in ultrasound or something like that) and then i went off for the bloods.

When i went to my 16wks check up the midwife gave me the stats which had come back from somewhere and ob again mentioned stats at my 20wk appt which was also to go through results of the big scan (which i had at 19wks).

Feb 2009
    Moody Melbourne

I had my blood done on a Tuesday and the scan the following Wednesday (8 days later). My scan ended up being done when I was 12wk+5 as the dating scan was a few days off apparently.

My Dr said that it really didn't matter if I had the blood taken before or at the same time as the scan but if I wanted the results quicker ie 30mins after scan, get the bloodwork done a few days beforehand.

HTH!

Follow Pandora On Twitter

Jan 2005
    cowtown

i had BT at 10 weeks and scan at 12 weeks