thread: 2-door car & newborn - Opinions..

Mar 2009

Post 2-door car & newborn - Opinions..

All - I currently have a 2 door car that I adore and am struggling to give it up!!

Will a 2 door work with a newborn?

I'm not planning on using a capsule, and I can preety much get in and out of the back seat without a problem (it's quite roomy and I can almost stand in the back).

I just need honest feedback as to how practical this will be with a newborn.....

TIA

Sep 2008
    South West Sydney, NSW

My friend had a two door car as her car and her DF's car was a huge landrover type thing. She planned to use the two door but it wouldn't work with the rear facing car seat... I can't remember why it didn't work but I do remember that until the bubs could be forward facing she had to use the huge landrover type car thing and she hated driving it.

Mar 2004
    Sparta

We had one and it was a total PITA. Bending over at awkward angles to get the baby out did my head in and they don't get any lighter so it's hard on the back too.
    With older kids who can get themselves in and out it might be ok but with new-borns it is horrid.

Feb 2008

I had a two door car up until a week ago, so for my DD from newborn to 16 months. I had no problems with it, never struggled to get her in or out. (Love having a small car for so many reasons!)

My DH on the other hand could not handle it at all. Not sure if it because he is tall so had more trouble bending over to put DD in her capsule or whether he is just a little grumpy and whingy about some things that are not perfect and easy . (Methinks it is the latter!) ...actually I think part of it was that he struggles with the act of strapping her in just as he struggles to change her nappy or dress her, he just can't do the fine details! I have noticed he still struggles getting her into the car now we have a 4 door so don't worry to much about my DH and his 2 door woes.

You should be fine!

Mar 2007

It is a PITA!!!!!!!!!! We still have a 2 door car, not for long!! The front seat has to be really far forward so the car seat sits behind it so if DH is in the car I sit in the back with DD. And it is so annoying trying to get her in and out.

Aug 2006

We had a 2 door car when our first DS was born. After a week we were looking for a 4 door car and when we got it it was soooo much easier. 2 door cars are just too awkward with a baby seat IMO.

Mar 2009

Thanks for the responses guys...

Does anyone know where I can find out if a baby seat can even be fitted in my car?

Dec 2005

Most baby stores will let you take the display model out to your car to check.

I had a 2 door excel. We now have a forrester. I changed cars when I was about 17 weeks pregnant because we knew that with my mobility issues I would have trouble with car seats in the old car. Even with the forrester it can be awkward - car seats take up huge amounts of space when they are rear-facing.

And just remember that while it may be easy enough to get in and out now, consider when you have a baby in your arms and can't use your hands to help. And when the car next to you parks too close...

BW

Oct 2008

I think they are a PITA. We sold ours and got a four door. Dont forget you will be sore after birth and then bubs will get heavier.

Also, not sure on the capsule choice as I believe they are about to become compulsory for all newborns to 6 months as of July 1 this year. In SA I know this is the case but check out your RAA equivalent. I dont like them but we will have to use one with this next little bub.

You can get any baby seat/capsule properly fitted by RAA or RedCross. They will also give you great advice on buying the most suitable ones.

Dec 2008
    Brisbane, QLD

Also, not sure on the capsule choice as I believe they are about to become compulsory for all newborns to 6 months as of July 1 this year. In SA I know this is the case but check out your RAA equivalent. I dont like them but we will have to use one with this next little bub.
    What's the definition of an infant capsule?
    Does that mean our turn-a-tot will no longer be legal?
    Does anyone know if the law is coming in in QLD?

Back on topic:
    We have the exact same issue, we got the turn-a-tot to make things a bit easier on our backs, only to find out that, because of the contour of the back seats, it wont turn anyway so it looks like we'll be climbing in the back seat to get our little one out or DP will just have to sell his car.

Nov 2008
    Victoria

I have a 2-door car, and we are not planning on getting a new car at this stage (unless it becomes a PITA) we figure we would give it a shot before we upgrade and besides I love my lancer (and it is finally all paid off, and I dont want to get another loan just yet!)

I have had a car seat in my car for my nephew when he was a new born and it was no problems at all. Although I am not sure what model it was.

Oct 2008

This is from the RAA website. Looks like it is just for SA at this stage but I have heard they are looking into it in other states - not sure of the status.

"The new laws will require children to be appropriately restrained in a motor vehicle in a suitable approved child restraint from birth up to the age of seven.

Specifically, the new laws will require children ?

* Up to the age of six months to be restrained in a rearward facing child restraint (e.g. infant capsule);

* From six months until the age of four to be restrained in either a rearward or forward facing child restraint (e.g. child safety seat);"

I have been into the RAA in Adel and asked about this and they told me that we will need a capsule and not a rear facing seat like we had with DS. I am just going to hire one from the Red Cross.

I also asked about the new prams with the "travel systems" that look like capsules that click straight into the pram frame. According to the RAA the are called "travel systems" as legally they cant be called capsules as they dont meet the standards - too shallow and small. When I looked into the price of the "travel system" attachments they cost around $200 which is more than the cost of hiring a capsule (around $10 a month). I would have liked the travel system though...looks good and I like the concept of car to pram frame.

Anyway, thats what we have been advised and will be doing - but we are in SA so different for us.

HTH.

Dec 2008
    Brisbane, QLD

This is from the RAA website. Looks like it is just for SA at this stage but I have heard they are looking into it in other states - not sure of the status.

"The new laws will require children to be appropriately restrained in a motor vehicle in a suitable approved child restraint from birth up to the age of seven.

Specifically, the new laws will require children ?

* Up to the age of six months to be restrained in a rearward facing child restraint (e.g. infant capsule);

* From six months until the age of four to be restrained in either a rearward or forward facing child restraint (e.g. child safety seat);"

I have been into the RAA in Adel and asked about this and they told me that we will need a capsule and not a rear facing seat like we had with DS. I am just going to hire one from the Red Cross.
    HTH.
    I don't know exactly what is meant by "capsule", would that mean that our convertable restraint would be illegal? Sorry if I sound thick, preggo brain I swear

Nov 2006

"I have been into the RAA in Adel and asked about this and they told me that we will need a capsule and not a rear facing seat like we had with DS."

To me it looks like the convertable car seats would be illegal from what has been written. I am not in SA so it doesn't affect me. We decided not to buy a convertible car seat so we have a capsule and a forward facing car seat for 6mths up. As our carseat doesn't convert it goes upto 26kgs rather than 18kg which most convertable car seats go up to. Though we will still have to get a car seat/booster when no#2 moves to the car seat.

Dec 2008
    Brisbane, QLD

"I have been into the RAA in Adel and asked about this and they told me that we will need a capsule and not a rear facing seat like we had with DS."

To me it looks like the convertable car seats would be illegal from what has been written. I am not in SA so it doesn't affect me. We decided not to buy a convertible car seat so we have a capsule and a forward facing car seat for 6mths up. As our carseat doesn't convert it goes upto 26kgs rather than 18kg which most convertable car seats go up to. Though we will still have to get a car seat/booster when no#2 moves to the car seat.
    I guess I'd better just hope it doesn't come in up here then.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber & MPM

Feb 2007
    Melbourne

Up to the age of six months to be restrained in a rearward facing child restraint (e.g. infant capsule)
    I would take this as meaning a rearward facing car seat is just fine, they have stated a capsule as an example, but a car seat that is able to be rearward facing (and later converted to forward facing) is perfectly legal. It is just basically saying that it is illegal for your infant to be forward facing before they turn 6 months of age.

Mar 2006
    Canberra

Hiya
    We purchased a turn-a-tot carseat that when the baby is rear-facing you can twist the whole seat to get them in or out. We bought this as it is a seat designed for compact cars (we used it in a Barina 2-door).

Hope this helps, Tess.

Add aussienic on Facebook

Feb 2005
    Boyne Island

My SIL had a 2 door car (still has the same car) she had 2 kids as newborns in it as well. While it was tricky from time to time she said it wasn't really that much of an issue..

Her biggest thing was that the strap to anchor the seat to the car went right across the boot so to get a pram in and out with ease she had to unlatch the car seat each time