Thread: 2 quickies...

Default 2 quickies...

I am still laying on my back to read at night, and I lay on my back on the couch with my feel elevated.

1. When should I expect to no longer do this?

I have also been told that at around 5 months it I am no longer supposed to put my arms over my head....say hanging out washing etc. Apparently it is not safe for bubs for you to put your arms over your head...as bubs lifts up high in your abdomen, and the cord can wrap around their necks.

Plus I read somewhere that its not good for something else to do so...

2. Who else has heard of this?

p.s. I gave up hanging washing on the line weeks ago...LOL

As far as I am aware laying on your back for extended periods of time from around the third month of pregnancy can cause the baby or your uterus to press down on major blood vessels and lower your blood pressure to dangerous levels and decrease blood flow to the uterus.

As far as the other question is concerned. That is an old wives' tale. Consider all of those elite athletes who quite safely play sports such as netball and basketball, or ride horses, or who swim and spend a lot of time with their arms extended with no ill effects.

But hey...play on it if it gets you out of the nasty chores. Works for me!

Lisa

My doc said I would be able to feel when I shouldn't be lying flat on my back anymore, dizziness etc, and that's when I'd know to roll over onto my side or sit up a bit. You can lie reclined at an angle instead if you want, propped up with a pillow or cushion.

And yep, as Lisa said, the lifting your arms above your head & the cord thing is just an old wive's tale

I have to say dido on what already been posted.

I love the washing line one though!

kirsty Guest

As far as I know the arms above the head one is an old wives tale.

As for laying on your back it is usually recommended that from about 20wks onwards you try to limit the amount of time you lie that way as it restricts the blood flow to bubs & to your legs etc.

Baby_Crazy05 Guest

Arms over the head is definitely an old wive's tale ...

One of the women at our antenatal classes brought this up as she had been yelled at by her MIL and the midwife said that it was a load of cr*p and there was nothing wrong with it as long as you're not overdoing it of course (like anything). She was pleased to be able to and tell her MIL later ...

Lying on the back ... you'll definitely know when you can't do it anymore ... I can't stand it but can't wait to be able to again (that and lying on my stomach again).

Last couple of checkups they've had me on my back for like 5 minutes checking position and stuff (little bugger won't sit in the one spot for 5 seconds) and I get dizzy real easy and start feeling a bit sick.

Unfortunately, I have just learned that it doesn't matter what you do or don't do, if the cord is going to wrap itself around the baby's neck it will.

My little angel was born sleeping at 0335 on Saturday 22nd April 2006 at 15w3d gestation with the cord wrapped twice around his neck and once around his body and arm.

My heart is breaking.

Good luck to all of you for the rest of your pregnancies.

Lisa

Oooh Mumintaz, I am so sad for you and the loss of your baby!