thread: 20wk ultrasound

Jul 2006
    Cloud nine :D

Question 20wk ultrasound

We had a wonderful ultrasond yesterday! We found out we are having a gorgeous little girl

Just a question tho... Breech babies at this stage will turn won't they???

And they have recommanded I have a Biophysical scan at 30weeks, anyone else had that? what is it? and why would that be recommended?

Beany was all in normal measurements and everything was healthy!

Jul 2006
    Brisbane

Awww Cassie, yay!! I definitely wouldn't be worrying about breech position at this point in time at all. Even the hossy doesn't really worry about it unless it's getting to 36 wks so there is heaps of time As for the other scan...no idea hun.

Oct 2006
    Sydney NSW

My friend was told that up to 34 wks they can easily turn form breech and even after hat some bubs do so I wouldn't be worried at all.
    YAY on the little girl!! Then you'll have even numbers LOL

Jan 2008
    Country Victoria

I am not sure of your situation or why your ob has requested you have one but a Biophysical is an ultrasound that measures your amniotic fluid, your babies movement and your looks at your babies practice breathing. I had a few of these ultrasounds with my DD and all came back fine. Was he concerned about your level of amniotic fluid? You levels may be on the lower side of normal. That is what I would be putting it down to. Do not stress yourself about it, he would have told you if there was something wrong. Maybe just ask the purpose at your next appointment.

Yay on having another precious girl

Jan 2008
    Country Victoria

It has also just occured to me that your DD is breech. He is proberly looking to see how much fluid you have to see how much room you have for her to turn!

My DD was frank breech right up to birth and my fluid was on the lower than normal, but still ok, however she did not have enough room/fluid to turn or to be turned by manipulation.

If she is still breech and there is enough fluid they may suggest turning through manipulation.

Sorry took a minute to 'click' in my head. Still I am not an Ob, you should still ask. Just my experience

Jul 2006

Thanks girls we are so excited!!! i basically jumped with joy out of the ultrasound room! hehe!

Oh ok kewl! I was worried... have learnt not to until an OB tells me to lol!!! It'll be awesome to see her again at 30weeks! Thanks all for your replies...

Nothing was said about the fluid... But i will ask my Ob next wednesday and update you girls what he said

Feb 2009

If you have the films, you can usually have a look for yourself. Fluids being the black area around the baby because they dont 'reflect'. I actually commented to my sonographer that there didn't look to be much compared to the US done on my last baby at 39 weeks! She tended to agree but "baby was already bum up so it didn't concern her". Be the first time any of mine liked being on their heads though. Most of them didn't turn until fairly late. Harry didnt turn until between 9 and 2 days before I went into labour. (Breech at 38wks, head down and engaged at 39wks).

That really is another thing I think they make an unneccesary fuss about way too soon. (Altogether in some cases - babies can be birthed breech)

Nov 2005
    in a house!

cngrats on another gorgeous girl Cass!! I dont think the scan at 30 weeks is to check for breech-- they would more likely do that around 35weeks onwards.

Im having a biophysical scan at 32 weeks but that is mandatory as I am over weight. I don't think that would be your reason though! But YAY at seeing bubs again xx

Jul 2006

I mention to the sonographer that there doesn't look like there is alot of room in there for bubs to move or grow... And even looking back at the ultrasound images she doesn't look to comfy (Hmm that might be why i am getting the Hard kicks in the groin lol)

Will have to ask OB...

Will post some photos up on BB gallary now, so you girls can have a look at my gorgeous princess

Jul 2006

https://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums...y.php?cat=1049

there is link to gallary with some ultrasound photos

Feb 2009

Yeah, thats pretty much how Phoebe looked - altogether cramped and it really made it harder for the sonographer to get the right angle on everything. My two US images I have uploaded are here. I have more but the way my scanner works I can end up covering the "Flim recognition slot" and so I need to cut the film up, which I wont do until after my hospital appointment. The palate image looks to be the big give away because the uterine wall is almost all completely enclosed around babies head - where as with my others when they were upright, there was plenty of room. I will see if I can dig out some of my older US images to scan in. I havent unpacked them (moved in over 2 years ago too!) so just have to work out which ignored box they are in! LOL. But the hospital gave me two every week with Harrys ultrasounds for my DH (he missed EVERY single US because of his job) so there has to be some there! But even in the 2nd tri album you can see the differences between the black space on Phoebes profile and some of the others. I wouldnt be too concerned yet anyway. I have always said , your body is an amazing thing and can do what you want it to when you want it to.