Thread: Are 2nd labours REALLY that much quicker?

Default Are 2nd labours REALLY that much quicker?

Hi, im due in 9 days. I had a pretty traumatic #1 labour with DD. Just wondering (and have been told by midwives) that 2nd and subsequent labours are a lot quicker - path has been stretched so to speak. Just like to hear some stories that support this....im getting pretty nervous with this labour. Not that my labour was long (4-5 hrs) but very painful, ended up with retained placenta, haemorraging and third deg tears........just psyching myself up for the next one [-o<

First labour - 31 hours... Second labour - 5 hours. Yep, for me it was sooo much quicker!

First labour was 12hrs, second just over 2hrs and third was just under 2hrs, so yeah for me they were quicker, hopefully we won't have this one on the door step.

I've always taken that to mean that second stage (pushing) is quicker. My first stage was quicker too, but the pushing went from 1.5hrs with Lindsay to 15mins with Erin. Paige would've been quicker again only her shoulders got stuck.

mooshie Guest

worked for me
    first labour 13hrs
    second labour 7hrs
    third labour 1hr

good luck

Both labors were approx 6 hrs so pretty much the same. I was induced just with the gel both times so I don't know if that makes any dif.

I hope all goes well for you re the placenta. I had retained with #1 but #2 came out beautifully. The u/s shows there could be a chance of retained placenta this time or even worse but I am not thinking about that. I will be thinking of you. Keep us informed.

sound like some good news Mbear. if you had an awful experience with your first, sounds like it really cant get any worse! I too have heard that the second is much faster... My friend recently gave birth to her second son, contractions started at 5am, got to the hospital at 8am, and had the baby at 8.30am!!! Her first was about 7 hours i think.

Keep positive girl!!

I know, easier said than done (especially since its coming from someone who has never been through that experience.... yet!).

With Olivia my labour was 7 hours, and with Charlie it was only 2 hours. They were of similar size. The labours were pretty much the same, only Charlie's was like a fast forwarded version! (He slid out liek a bar of soap!)

My first labour was 12 hours, second labour 1 hour 54 minutes!! 8 minutes of that was pushing!! Good luck xo

bruky Guest

Hi Mbear

My first labour was 4hrs and 17mins, I was induced and had every damn intervention bar a c/sec

with #2 I had pains from Friday till i had him on Sunday but my actual recorded labour was 1hr 5 mins with no drugs or intervention. My contractions were on top of each other when I got to the hospital at 6am but the midwife said I was only 2cms :shock: she left us alone and a new midwife walked in at 7am and he was born at 7.05am, all over and done with in that hour.

I'm really nervous this time around cause god knows what this one will be like...I keep getting told that it will be quick...but it might not be either, they are all just so different

If I could have another labour like my son I would be more than happy

Good luck with it all and I am sure you will let us know real soon

*Yvette* Guest

Good luck Mbear, hope it's easier for you this time. My labours have all been the same, 11 to 13 hours. It's the 2nd stage (pushing stage) that's got progressively shorter. Over an hour to push my first baby out, about 20 mins for Angus & less for the twins (forgotten exact time, would have to check birth stories). I had tiny tears with the first two & none since.

To avoid tearing, I recommend spending time in water during labour if you can, and having a good midwife you trust to guide you through the pushing stage & holding warm wash cloths on you perineum.

Everyone's different and you never know what will happen. Just get the best possible care from a midwife you know. If you have to have a midwife you've only just met, try to really talk to her & connect with her quickly & get accross that you need her to help you through.

i was in labour for 3hrs 50 mins with #1 (spent nearly 2 hours pushing), and #2 was 4hrs 20mins, but pushing for only about 15 mins. its makes a diff with your second child, they've already "paved the way!" sorry for the phrase...

Thank you ladies......right so it seems the pushing component of labour is shortened dramatically - thats the most exhausting, right?
    Yvette - your words of wisdom i will take with me to the labour ward. You are so right, connecting with the midwife (whom i most defn wont know) is an all important task........

Thanks again.

jelliebean Guest

My first was 2 hrs and my second was 4 hours...... Second one was bigger and with no pain relief.... First was at 36 weeks under an epidural...