Thread: 3 Hour Glucose Tolerance Test

Nelly73 Guest

Default 3 Hour Glucose Tolerance Test

Hi All

I have looked all over the internet for assistance with this and am hoping that someone out there has has the same experience as my with the 3 hour glucose tolerance test (GTT) and can offer some advice!

I had the 1 hour glucose screening test at week 27 and got a slightly elevated result (8.4). I was then sent to have a three hour GTT and only made it about 20 minutes after drinking the glucose solution before I vomitted it back up quite violently. End of test! My obstetrician then sent me to have the test again about 5 days later and the same thing happened. Now I have been told that I should have some diabetic education and start a diabetic diet. I am reluctant to do this unless I have a diagnosis as the diabetic diet is quite restrictive and I think I will lose quite a bit of weight on it. I am now over 29 weeks pregnant and don't know if there is some other test that I can have?

Has anyone experienced the same thing and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes some way other than the 3 hour GTT?

Thanks!

abs Guest

Hi Nelly

Can't help at all with the test - my partner had her 1hr test this morning, so waiting to hear back about that

But, the diabetic diet needn't be restrictive at all. A low Gi diet can actually be very nice - there's some fantastic breads out there for toast or sandwiches etc. Tis all about proper education of what can be eaten without a problem, and restricting (not completely removing) other things

Are you sure it's a 3 hour test? I've not heard of that before. I have to do a 2 hour test in a few weeks as I have insulin resistance and am at high risk for GD but I do think it's the only way of telling for sure as you have to get a specific does of glucose and see how your body reacts.

As abs said the diabetic diet is not all that restrictive. I eat that way now which is low GI and involves eating things which affect your blood glucose more gradually. Burgen bread is great and most dairy products are pretty good as well.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Yup it's a 3 hour test kyliealysha

I had to have this test but I didn't throw up as you did. I assume that you didn't throw up during the first one I wonder why it's making you sick directly after seeing it's the same drink?

I guess all you can do is go by their recommendation otherwise it could be dangerous. I guess if you are concerned you could get a second opinion but I'm not sure if there is another test that they can do. Maybe ask your ob if he/she is giving you a diagnosis of GD based on the fact that you cannot do the test?

Hope you find the help that you're after.

Melinda Guest

I haven't heard of any alternative to the test either, unfortunately.

Hi Nelly

I dont know of any other test.

Also a low GI diet is not very restrictive and i'm sure that you will not loose weight.
    To get an idea of what things you can eat just google 'low GI'. I think that you may be suprised at how unrestrictive it is.

angel_eyes Guest

OMG I'm having the 3 hour test tomorrow morning 8-[

I don't know how I'm going to go drinking that sugary juice on an empty stomach :-k

I wonder why I didn't get the option of the 1 hour test first. [-(

Hi Jacqui

Are you sure its the 3 hour test you are going for? Normally you would have the 1 hour test and then only if that is high wiuld you need to go for the 3 hour test

abs Guest

is those 3hr tests require anything in the lead up??

Jen had her 1hr test done a week or so ago, with a 7.9 result. I giggled back at her, being a Type 1 diabetic for over 30 years

Anyway, for the 2nd test, she has to have a carb-loaded diet for 3 days, then fast for somewhere between 8-16hrs before the test, ie don't eat anything once you go to bed the night before then the test is done - about a 2.5hr process... so guessing she may have to drink something again

Quote Originally Posted by abs
    Anyway, for the 2nd test, she has to have a carb-loaded diet for 3 days, then fast for somewhere between 8-16hrs before the test, ie don't eat anything once you go to bed the night before then the test is done - about a 2.5hr process... so guessing she may have to drink something again
    I had that test on Saturday... the two hour test. They would take a sample, give her the sugary drink, then take another sample one and two hours later. It's not very much fun :evil: