Thread: 3D (4D?!?!) scans...

Sal Guest

Cool 3D (4D?!?!) scans...

Is it just me or do others find that 3D scan pics of bubs are all quite ugly?!? It's not the baby itself (usually turns out to be very cute), I just find the pics make the baby out to be diabolically ugly. I'd never get one for this very reason.

And on the topic, how on earth are they called 4D scans?!?! I mean, what is the extra dimension being captured?

skyelar Guest

LOL Sal, you crack me up!
    I find the 3D scans later on in pregnancy a lot better than say at 12-20 weeks.
    My bubs looks pretty scary in the 18 week 3D scan that I had!
    I *think* the 4th dimension is the movement of bubs in the 3D setting?? Not too sure.

The 4D relates to time as far as I know, as in it's in real time.

yup, the 4 d is the real time factor. As in there's no delay in the movements to what you are seeing. I think the 4d scan pictures are gorgeous, yes alot better latter in the pregnancy than earlier though. They look abit alienish too early

Hey Sal
    4d is definitely time (according to the sonographer I asked in Civic). Can you get 4d scans in Canberra? They don't do them at where I had mine done because according to the sonographer I spoke to
    "it upsets the mum's too much when they see their babies at 19 weeks because they are all bones and not much muscle and they tend to look very emaciated and scary".

Sal Guest

Hi Kar, not sure! I don't have any desire to see my bub in "4D" (gee what marketing hype! All u/s scans are done in real time!). I think you have to pay extra for it anyways.

I just paid to have ours done a couple of weeks ago and the place I went wont take you before 24wks. That way it is a much nicer picture. all the ones I have seen I thought have looked quite good. Yes the earlier pregnancy ones aren't that great but later pregnancy is.

Love

Melody Guest

I didn't get one because I have yet to see a really nice one & figure it wasn't worth the extra $$.... each to thier own but I was blown away enough just seeing how strong & wonderful Hunter's spine was.... I'll wait to see his lips when I am about to smooch them

Yep I think it's recommended between 28-32 weeks so bub has more fat on them. It was a shame because by the time I got around 30 weeks to organise mine Zander was so far engaged that they wouldn't be able to get a good picture

hahaha, diabolically ugly!!!! Such a harsh (but funny) thing to say about someone's baby!!!

I had mine done at the same place as Kat did. I loved my shots and thought they were great. I was 29 weeks when I had them and I thought they were amazing. We were lucky and DS was awake so we could see him yawning and moving about on the DVD. We also got some really clear still shots of his face.

I've seen some earlier 3D/4D shots that were a little skeletal lol but the ones we had were just gorgeous (IMO) LOL!

Mind you the place Kat & I went to is a private business only for 3D/4D scans - its not where you would normally have your U/S done. So they tend to take the time and make the effort to give you pictures that are excellent.

Oh I think there are ugly too, even at my first 2 u/s's I asked to have the "normal" ones printed as the 3D are too freaky. I have another u/s next monday (32 weeks) and the place I go uses the 3D/4D as there routine scans. So no doubt I will be seeing her freaky little body again.

Fire Fly Guest

I like the 4d scans. At least they look a little more human in that one, lol. Poor little bubbas. Fancy mum calling them ugly, lol.

I had 3/4D scans at 19 wks, 32 wks and 37 wks. She was a bit 'alienish' at the 19 wk scan, but it was really amazing seeing her little mouth open and shut for real. The pics were much better at 32 wks but by 37 wks she was too big to see much at all.

LOL Jen I had a few late term scans (not 3D thought) and they were like Here is one side of his head... and there is the other LOL. You'd think they'd just have a zoom button hehe!!

julesy Guest

I had a 3D scan done at 31 weeks and it was the most amazing experience! You actually sort of meet this little person for the first time, the features were so clearly defined (even the fingernails and toes), and because it is 'real time', we actually saw her smile! It was even obvious to us whose nose she has, forehead and biceps (I sent the scan to my DH as you can get it on DVD, and he thinks she has his biceps...bless).

I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone as a gift for someone (ie a baby shower gift), as it is more costly than a normal U/S, but so worth it, especially after 30 weeks. I would do it again for subsequent pregnancies, because it would be a hoot at their 21st birthdays!!

Julesy