Thread: 3D ultrasounds

Default 3D ultrasounds

I have been to have my 20 week scan. I had it done at the hospital and it was just the normal type of ultrasound. A lot of people I know have been talking about their 3D scan. I was not offered a 3D scan and was wondering if it is something I have to organise myself or does it depend on the hospital??

Also, are there any other 'routine' ultrasounds after the 20 week scan? Nothing has been mentioned to me so far at my hospital appointments.
    Thanks

I received a 3D u/s image during my nuchal fold scan at 12 weeks. I didn't ask for 3D ... didn't know if it was available.... too busy ooohing and ahhing at the traditional image on the screen then all of a sudden the doctor says: "Look at this!" WoW! At first I freaked out because it looked like my little one was missing an arm (it was a side profile image) but then the doctor explained that like a traditional image it "slices through" the object during the scanning process. He moved the probe for a frontal view which showed two arms and printed out the most amazing 3D image of my little one cradling it's face in it's hands.... so cute!

Sorry I couldn't answer your question. I'm a public patient going through the Mercy here in Melbourne but I did have to attend a private radiology clinic (and pay $130) for this optional scan. The doctor did say the technology was still fairly new and wouldn't be available everywhere.

Unless there is a medical reason why you need an u/s after the 20 weeks one then no, there are no more routine ones. But you can get a referal off your ob to get a 3D scan if you would like, normally they are gone at imaging places, but you have to pay for it yourself.

We had 3d for the 19w scan (pics on my www), and it just happened that the imaging place we were sent to did it. We paid $180 for the scan, and got $111 back from medicare.

I think it just depends where you're having the scan done, and whether they can offer it or not.

I've heard you can book in scans yourself at private imaging places, but you pay for it all yourself, and they recommend around week 30 I think for the 3d/4d scans if you just want to do it to have a look, as the baby doesn't look so alien, coz he has a bit more fat on him.

Oh yes I received about half of the $130 fee for mine back on medicare too. And yes my little one does look a little like an alien but such a cute alien with little armpits and legs with feet.... surprisingly well formed for 12wks! I hope the hospital has 3D tech. for my 18 week scan.... otherwise I might ask to go back to this private place and happily pay a little extra!

Thanks for the replies girls. I am booked in at the Mercy in Heidelberg, so I assume they dont have the technology yet for a 3D scan. I might ask about it at my next appointment there. Its not really necessary, just something I want 8-[

It depends on whether the place you go to has the 3D machines there.

Unfortunately I never got to have a 3D scan done either.

There is a place called Early Image that does 3D & 4D scans done. I think prices start from around $130 but they aren't covered by Medicare as you do not need a referal to see them.

You probably won't need any more scans done unless you Dr sees that there is a medical reason for you to have one done.