Thread: 6 Week Scan referral....Viability???

megaminz Guest

Default 6 Week Scan referral....Viability???

My Dr wrote me a referral for dating scan tonight...she put on it.
    "No pregnancy symptoms yet,
    Check Dates and Viability"

I am having a wee freak out about the check viability...has anyone else had that???

I wouldnt worry about it
    i had 6 week scans both times.
    He probably just means check for a heart beat.
    I wouldnt be panic-ing about anything

Is there any reason he would think it is not a viable pregnancy, have you have a blood test that might indicate such? If it is just a lack of symptoms that prompted the Dr to write that, then i don't think you should worry too much.
    Medical terms can often be alarming. Early on in a pregnancy i dont think it is unusual for Dr to write something like that on a referral for a dating scan. Infact i think my dating scan said that at 7weeks.

Try not to worry. (Don't ya hate it when people say that.) Good luck.

megaminz Guest

ah I dont know why she wrote it...I didnt see it til I got in the car then went WHATTTTTTT

Was too embarrassed to go back and ask

Thanks ladies
    sometimes you jsut need to say things outloud...really wish I could have a vodka...that would calm the nerves

They need to put that sort of info on the referral so the sonographer knows what is going on. It would be routine to ask for them to check for viability at this stage if you choose to have an early scan. They are also noting that you don't have any symptoms yet - which can be perfectly normal for women not to have any until past 6wks - sometimes not at all if you're lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    It would be routine to ask for them to check for viability at this stage if you choose to have an early scan.
    Yep this is pretty routine on referrals for early scans. Viability means basically checking that the pregnancy is in the uterus (not in the tubes) and that there is a heart beat. They check this routinely at the first scan for any pregnancy - there isn't anything about yours that is making your doctor concerned so don't worry.
    I remember this being written on all my early scan referrals...don't sweat it!

It's not unusual either to not have symptoms at the stage you're at - I didn't have any symptoms with any of mine until into the sixth week. Some women even later, and some women never

Congratulations too

Mine always said that too - and it always freaked me out too! But I've since realised they just always write that. Plus I didn't get any symptoms for ages with this PG, so don't stress if you don't - everyone & every PG is different.

Congrats & all the best for a H&H PG.

my dating scan said the same - and then i was lucky enough not to have many symptoms til 2nd tri!!
    good luck - seeing that heartbeat is so beautiful.

i hope it goes well.
    6 weeks can be a bit early for a heartbeat though, often they wont find one before 7 weeks.
    WRT pg symptoms, other than no AF I had none til 12 weeks when I could start to feel my clothes getting tighter, and after 15 weeks heartburn. No m/s or any of that though, so that can also be perfectly normal.

As most people have said, it's very normal, don't worry about it! All early scans either check for viability and/or dates.

megaminz Guest

thanks ladies

i did my scan this morning and it was measured at 6w4d
    I got to see the heartbeat
    had a massive cry after
    was very overwhelming and emotional

Good for you, i'm happy for you. Wishing you a great pregnancy.

great to hear your news