Thread: Aeroguard during pg???

Question Aeroguard during pg???

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if it is alright to use insect repellants during pg. i love my walks to keep fit but the flies are driving me crazy.

Please shed some light or share your thoughts.

Cheers

Koby

I wouldn't use it. Even if I was told it's okay. Its a poison and poisons can be absorbed through your skin. The flies are shocking aren't they?

Found this for you

Question: Is it safe to use insect repellent?

Answer: It depends on the type you choose. Use caution with any product that contains the chemical Diethyltoluamide, more commonly known as DEET. A certain amount of the chemical is absorbed through the skin into your bloodstream. In large doses, it can make you seriously ill. DEET has been shown to increase the risk for birth defects in chicks, but not in rats or rabbits.

Unfortunately, not much information is available on the possible harmful effects in human pregnancies. But because DEET is considered toxic in high enough doses, it is generally recommended that pregnant women either avoid using repellents containing DEET or use them only in small amounts.

Editor's note: Some experts consider products that contain citronella oil to be a safer alternative to DEET products. Citronella is an essential oil that may have some effectiveness in repelling insects. There are no published studies showing it to be safe or unsafe to use during pregnancy. However, according to the California Teratogen Information Service (an agency in charge of compiling information on substances that may cause birth defects), there's no potential harm from applying small amounts of citronella products to your clothes (rather than your skin), which should be nearly as effective in repelling bugs

I know the flies are annoying but I don't think that Aero gard repels flys anyway, just mosquitos etc. I know that mint is a really good repelent for flies. This might sound a bit weird but if you have a mint plant you could put a sprig behind your ear, no one would see if you were wearing a hat, and they may stay away from your face at least.

Apparently mosiquots are attracted to blue??? I'm sure if you look on the net you might find some info on colours that attract insects and good types of clothes to deter mosquitos