Thread: Age to fly with a baby

Question Age to fly with a baby

My lil bub is due soon and was wondering if any one knew from what age can you fly with a newborn???

Since DH and i have moved interstate, all of our family and friends are in NSW now. I dont fancy driving any where as its easier and quicker to fly.

We were going to go away for xmaz, but have decided we would have our first one as a family at home, and the relos can come to us. But Jan/Feb i wish to go 'home' to visit all my friends that wont be coming down for bub.

My paed said after 6 week check, but I saw him at 2wks (for a post jaundice check up) and then flew with bubs when he was 4 wks old. All was good. Make sure you ask for a bassinet seat though...And borrowing/using a sling is great....

It prob depends on the airline but i'm pretty sure you can't fly Internationaly before 6 weeks it might be different flying domestic though

I flew with Jenna at 8w, and there were no probs. In fact out of all our flights that was the easiest to manage.
    My sister flew with her 2w old from Canada to Japan, had no problems. IN fact the biggest hassle flying internatioally is getting a passport soon enough.
    As the others have said, request the basinnette seat at booking time, and if you are breastfeeding make sure you tell them at check in as they *might* be nice and block the seat next to you to give you some armroom.

Technically Qantas and all the other airlines will say that you shouldnt fly before 6 weeks with an infant but so many people do...we live in a country town around 1600kms from Perth and so many mums fly back from Perth with 2 week olds. The theory behind it is that it has something to do with the pressure on their ear canals and them not being fully developed before 6 weeks?