Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amniocentesis

Thanks Lucy - and congrats on finding out you are having a little boy!

I guess reading your original post made me feel a little more nervous about the NT scan and the accompanying blood tests, but not in a bad way though - like you before (and lots of others I'm sure), I'm probably sitting here thinking 'it'll never happen to me', but it is helpful to hear that these things DO happen, and that we just have to deal with them if they do - and that we have support of all the lovely BB girls!

I'm just so looking forward to seeing that there is actually a little person in there - so far I wouldn't know it at all!!

Thanks again,
    Bertie

Anna Kegel Guest

Default Amniocentisis

Well I had my amniocentisis yesterday and am happy to report to those worried about the procedure, that I could not even feel it. My doctors personal stats for MC was 1/400 which also gave me confidence. I have been very worried about MC and went home and rested. After about an hour my stomach became sore so I just lay there. When I got up after 3 hours I got so dizzy and nearly passed out then started throwing up so I immediately checked the MC checklist and thankfully those symptoms were not on there. It was probably just me recovering from shock and relief that the procedure was over. The doctor told me not worry about getting Fast Fish results unless I was overly stressed about the whole thing. It cost $350 extra and if it comes back DS then you definately are, but if it comes back not, it is not 100% accurate and you still need to wait for the standard test results to come back after 10 days which you still get as well. My original screen test came back 1:4 which I learnt later was a big mistake and it was recalculated at 1:227. With this new US result I think I can wait the 12 days. NOt sure that they will ring me on a Saturday and it is a long weekend. 8-[

Just wanted to say that I am so happy that everything has turned out ok...

Take it easy now... you have been through enough!

Anna,

I am glad the procedure went OK, and that it wasn't painful.

And I really hope the waiting goes as quickly as it possibly can for you.

renae Guest

I had an amnio done on the 5th of July I am anxiously waiting to get the results. These results are all I can think about. I can't sleep, this is the hardest thing I have ever went through. The worst part of it all is that I can't enjoy my pregnancy. I have to children now that are so excited for the new baby to come and I can't even talk about it. My husband and I are not getting along. Every time I bring up the issue no one wants to talk about it. I am so afraid and alone. I called my Dr.s office on Friday because I couldn't wait anymore, but the results weren't in yet. Can anyone tell me how long it takes. I have been sitting at home every day since I had the amnio waiting for the results but at the same time dredding to answer the phone every time it rang.

Melinda Guest

Oh Renae,

I am so sorry to hear that you are anxiously awaiting the results of your amniocentesis. Unfortunately I don't know how long it takes for the results to come in.....perhaps one of the other girls can shed some light on this for you.

I really hope the results come through soon and will give you the all clear so that you can enjoy the rest of your PG.

Thinking of you.......

Hi Renae,
    I am not in your situation, but I do understand not being able to talk about your pregnancy, and when the kids are excited you can't say anything. At my 18 week scan on friday we found out bub has choroid plexus cysts. Although apparently there are no other abnormalities with the baby, we are now playing the waiting game. Im having another u/s in 5 weeks, and until then I cannot bring myself to buy one baby thing, or talk to DD about the baby. I feel really sad not being able to enjoy the pregnancy. The risk we are facing is Trisomy 18, similar to Downs, but apparently babies dont survive with it after birth. Thatis what I have read. Statistics are in our favour at the moment, but just having to wait to be sure is pure hell. On top of that an amnio isn't recommended (or hasn't been so far) so we will not know for sure until birth.
    I would love to find out by amnio, just to know whether I should prepare or relax, but the risk is too high, compared to the chance of something being wrong. Unfortunately just knowing there is a problem has made enjoyment of this pregnancy almost impossible
    So I feel for you and truly hope everything turns out for the best. The waiting is the worst, and all i can say is that when you're awake at nightthinking about bub, have a think of all the women in the same situation and know you're not alone xoxoxo

Renae,

Hopefully this will put your mind at ease, when it became apparent that my sisters second pregnancy was not as it seemed & she was sent off for an amnio, the actual Dr & nurses let her know immediately that things were not good, as the fluid was black & not clear...
    But her results were given to her within a few days, I believe because there were problems.

So I think the longer it takes the safer you are!!!

Best wishes & thinking of you!!!

Renae, i know how you feel as i had a CVS and was anxiously awaiting results too.

Im not sure if you requested FISH results which is a quick turnaround on the most common abnormalities in my case looking for DOWNS. I got these results within 24 hours. My full results were back in 10 days and these were for the more rare abnormalities.
    I belive amnio is not that much different from CVS when it comes to processing the sample by the lab and you should have results within 2 weeks, so should be any day now. When you talked to your Dr's office did you ask what the typical turnaround time is?
    The waiting is awful, i agree, that knowing feeling, i hated it too.

Hi Renae

You poor thing.....I know the waiting for amnio results is the worst ever.

I believe that the general rule of thumb for amnio results is 10-14 working days, so from the 5th July you should be looking at around the 26th July, worst case scenario? Can you phone your Dr and ask them when they expect the results?

When you had the amnio, did the Dr mention the colour of the fluid? This can sometimes be an indication of any issues. Otherwise they have to wait to culture all the cells. (Hence the long wait)

I was lucky in as much as I had many friends who did let me ramble on a lot about my fears, but it was a VERY difficult time of rows and arguments with my partner, so I have every sympathy for you in that respect.

I really hope you get your results very soon, and that they are all clear........

Oh Renae- I know exactly how you feel cos I had the same wait, I do remember being told things weren't esp bad from what they could seeon the scans and the amnio results did take about 10days. I had just started to feel Josh moving inside me and I remember cryingand saying I don't want to feel this, I just can't deal with this! It is such a highly stressful time, hang in there, it shouldn't be too much longer. Why not ring the clinic who did the test and ask them how long it should take.

I have everything crossed that the results are good for you

Meg- hugs to you and I hope that things are also good for you, fingers crossed !
    CHeers Michelle

renae Guest

Hi everyone thank you so much for your support. I'm happy to say that I got my results and everything is normal. I'm having a boy. I went shopping today and bought the cutest outfits. I am so releived. This will be my third boy and I'm just so happy that he will be healthy and smart. His name will be Chauncey. Thanks again to everyone for every thing.

Congratulations Renae, on great results and a BOY!!! How very exciting. I certainly hope Im in your position soon, as I want to start buying some cute little outfits and things. I have about 4 weeks to wait. Bloodyhell....

Wonderful news Renae, congrats on your little boy. Doing some shopping is great therapy indeed, glad it all worked out well \/ \/

Very reassuring news Renae. Enjoy the shopping.

Wonderful news Renae,I bet you felt the weight lift from your shoulders, and now you can enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. Best wishes for a H&H rest of your pg.

Meg I am thinking of you and hoping those 4 weeks fly and you have the results, and they are good news.

Best wishes Michelle

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123