Thread: Another braxton hicks question...

Red face Another braxton hicks question...

I think I've been having bh for a few weeks. My belly feels rock hard, not sure how long maybe 30 secs to a min then it goes away. The past couple of days they have been accompanied with a bit of lower abdo pain. On the right, sometimes on the left, sometimes sharp pain, sometimes more like a cramp like I get with diarrhea or period pain.
    Is it normal to get pain with bh this early on (22 weeks) or should I be concerned?

Also how often is normal?

Today and yesterday they seem quite frequent. Every few hours, I dont think they're regular but I haven't really timed it. I did have one strong enough to wake me up at some horrible hour this morning which kinda freaked me out. lol.

It's probably nothing but I just wanted to check what you guys thought.

Braxton Hicks are not unusual at 22 weeks and yes sometimes they can be quite painful. They will often go away or at least ease if you walk around a little. They can last from a few seconds to a couple of minutes. Providing that they are not regular in length and frequency then it is probably Braaxton Hicks. However if you are unsure it would be worth getting things checked out.

My sister had terrible braxton hicks with both her boys, especially with her second. She was on 'limited duties' and rest from about 16 weeks with her second. It would definitley be worth while seeing your GP/OB just for peace of mind. They are quite common but it can't hurt to get it looked at - just in case

Good luck!

Aaah the famous Alan, hehe thanks for your reply, that definately helps put my mind at ease.

ETA and Taurean hehe I didn't see you there. Thanks .. I think I will go to the docs, I was meant to go with my u/s results a few weeks ago but didn't end up getting there (oops) so I'll ask him when I'm there.
    Last edited by Calluna; March 17th, 2009 at 04:37 PM.