Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anterior Placenta

I think so Shan! Nicholas was posterior, and I had an anterior placenta

I actually felt movements at 14 weeks, then kicks at 19 weeks, but they were never strong movements. I had a couple of CTGs later on in my pg and the midwives were always surprised at how little I felt!

I know it's disappointing, but look on the bright side, you won't get beaten up for as long! And trust me, once your bub is here, you will forget about it very quickly. Holding your baby more than makes up for any lack of movement

Veronica, they like to do another scan at 32 weeks with a low lying placenta to check for placenta praevia. I think about 95% of placentas have moved up and away from the cervix by this time. Unfortunately, a friend of mine just found out she's in the 5% who haven't! An anterior placenta shouldn't need any further checks or monitoring.

Hi Ezz,

I'm anterior too! And just this week i've been feeling the kicks and those little butterfly feelings! So i guess for me it was the start of week 16 to feel the kicks on the inside.

Anterior placenta's grow on the "back wall" and so its got to kick through all the stuff in front of it until you can feel it on the outside! So, once bubs is bigger it's easier to feel the movements from the outside....

Hope that helps and makes sense

Thanks everybody. I am a little disappointed that I won't feel movement for a while (it's our first & I've had a couple of bleeds - so movement would be reassuring!!!). But I do take your point that at least I will have less time being bashed around by Bean (hehe).
    Kate - thanks for heads up on positioning - I'll have a look into it.

I also have an ant placenta.. and i was SO disappointed that I wouldnt feel the bub for longer... now I get regular little prods though....

Yep, I've got one too! I did feel movement for the first time at around 12 weeks, but they were very few and far between. By 18/19 weeks I was feeling definate kicks and now I feel kicks pretty much on and off all day (and night!)

This is my third prg though, so I knew what I was feeling straight away.

Not happy to hear about posterior babies though, will have to keep that in mind later on!

I felt kicks at around 15 weeks, but DH has only felt them last week at 27 weeks.

Ezz, I had an anterior placenta too. I felt bub kick around 20 weeks (but it was a first time pregnancy too). I felt most of my movements to the sides and top (ribs). Trust me even though your placenta is out front you will still feel bub move (and plenty of it) when bub grows bigger in there!

I also had anterior placenta and I felt her kick at around 18 or 19 weeks I think. There was no complications caused by the position of placenta.

Karina - I like your photo site!! I've just set one up for myself, using the same service.

I have had anterior placentas with 7 of my pregnancies! I only had a posterior birth with my first baby - I felt movement quite early with all of my babies - but because I had nothing to compare it to it's hard to say.

Anterior placentas act as a cushion so will make it hardter to detect movente from the outside of your belly (if you partner is trying to feel) until later in the pregnancy when it won't matter where your placenta is - that little one will let it's presence known!

My first had an anterior placenta - I felt kicks around 15 weeks and DH felt them around 16 weeks. I believe that is about the time that most first time mums start feeling kicks anyway.

I have also heard that babies like to face their placenta so be a little extra attentive to Optimal Foetal positioning to try and avoid a posterior labour. I had a fantastic labour and birth with #1 (who was perfectly positioned )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12