Thread: Anterior placenta

Question Anterior placenta

Hi Everyone,

Today I had my 18-29 weeks scan. I got told I had and anterior placenta. At my 12 week scan I was told I had a posterior placenta.

Can the placenta change positions like that or was the sonographer wrong at the 12 weeks scan (or is the sonographer wrong now)?

Also today I was told that due to the anterior position of the placenta I may not feel the same foetal movements. I started feeling bubs at about 18 weeks but today at the scan it was moving around HEAPS and I couldn't feel a thing - I'm guessing I'm only feeling the really massive kicks. Am I going to miss out on feeling all the smaller normal movements or is it just going to be delayed?

Thanks heaps

Not sure about if the placenta can move from a posterior to an anterior position, but you wont be able to feel a lot of the smaller movements until baby is a lot bigger and has more strength or you will feel more movements towards your back instead of your front. But even once baby is bigger, the movements will still be cushioned a little more than if it were a posterior placenta.

Hi Principessa

I'm not sure about whether the placenta can move or not. I know it grows but I thought it was attached to the uterine wall. What a pain not knowing for sure.

According to my 12 week scan done last week, my placenta is anterior too. She said to me I probably won't feel movement until about 22 weeks.

Glad to hear all else is going well!

Take care.

The placenta itself doesnt move in as much as it attaches itself to a position of the womb, but the womb , as it stretches around as the baby grows means that the starting point of where your placenta is can then change.

Does that make sense?!

I had a posterior placenta with Olivia, but initially at my 12 week scan the placenta was more at the bottom (nearly covering the entrance to the cervix) but then as Olivia grew in my womb the whole lot moved backwards. So I could feel every kick, twist and turn.

With Charlie and Lexie, both times I had an anterior placenta. I could still feel everything, but it was more 'muffled" IYKWIM? As if there was a pillow in the way when they kicked my belly? LOL! But I could still feel it all, just not as acutely........

Hey there...
    I too have an anterior placenta...it it definatley cushions things more. I am 28 wks tomorrow and have had only a few big kicks/movements- most of the time it feels just like the little movements you get early on. Mine is also quite high, so most of my movements felt have been down low- with very few rib kicks- although I know I get kicks there due to random heartburn moments and gas under my rib cage.
    The few big kicks I have had have been when Ive been laying on my tummy or pressing on it- the extra pressure and having a 'rebound' seems to make the movements more noticable.

The placenta itself doesnt move, but the womb to which it attachs to does.

i had an anterior placenta when i was pregnant and i did feel movement but not as much as other pregnant friends would comment on. some even sais that they could see little protruding parts of the baby sorta pushing thier belly out slightly, i sooooo wish i could have had that happen to me. now that i think about it though, i think it was sorta good in a way cause it the baby movements didnt keep me awake over night or hurt!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like anterior placentas are quite common - I think I was under the impression that they weren't. Its weird that at my 12 weeks scan they said posterior and now anterior but I guess things have just changed.

I was feeling a little disappointed that I'll miss out on all the little movements but from the sounds of things from you guys I will get to still feel everything but just a little muffled.....that's ok by me. As I said before I started feeling bub at 18weeks (which seems average?) and have felt heaps of kicks in the last few days so I'm quite content.

Peekay - Glad to see things are progressing well for you. Nearly in the 2nd trimester now! I hope you're feeling well and the M/S is over.

Thanks again everyone!

mine was like this too and was told i would feel movement for awhile. when we got to the car i started cryign and dp was liek wats wrong. i had been feeling movemnt for like 3 weeks b4 my 20week scan. So for them to say i would be feeling it i thought i was imagining things.

i have a scan in a few weeks to get mine checked again.

My placenta is just on the other side of my belly button- I can feel/see the blood pulsing through it. I've been feeling my baby move since around week 17. I'm at 30 wks now and feel her constantly- fluttering, hiccuping, kicking the crap out of me. She's stopped rolling around, and I'm glad, that just made me feel ill.

I was told at my 12 weeks scan that I have a postierior placenta and Im guessing it still is because I feel really really strong kicks etc. Ive been feeling baby since about 12 weeks aswell, started out as light tapping, now its hard kicks and punches lol.

I can't remember where my placenta was with my first pregnancy. Even though I could feel baby move I never thought bubs was very active and never was able to recognise any distinct body parts. When DS was born, immediately he was very active so quite possible that the placenta was anterior and cushioning things a bit. I never felt I was missing out on anything - I just thought bubs didn't move much because he didn't have much room

With my second, it was most definitely posterior and yep, I could feel things a whole lot more - but then again I thought it was just a second pregnancy thing.

I believe the uterus grows from the bottom up so the position of the placenta can and does change but don't know whether it can go from anterior to posterior - I guess it is possible!!

It was a great relief when the placenta was posterior with my second because of the c/s thing and the risks of placenta problems such as placenta accreta and placenta praevia - which can be extremely serious. Something I have to think about with #3 - and I wish my OB had told me on the risks of placenta problems , especially with position with multiple c/s as in placenta accreta before insisting I deliver by elective c/s second time around after a c/s with number 1.

With #1, anterior v posterior - not going to make any real difference - just something to watch with #2 and more if you have a c/s.

HTH
    GIDGET