Thread: Antibiotics in early Pregnancy

Question Antibiotics in early Pregnancy

Hey guys, this may sound silly, but I guess there is a teeny weeny chance that we conceived a few days ago.

I have a really bad mouth infection (tooth or ulcer, not sure yet) and the doctor has prescribed me two antibiotics to get rid of it.

Can this be of any harm? thanks

Hi Danni!
    There are some antibiotics on the "avoid" list but there are heaps you can still take. Thee best thing to do is to tell the Doc you're TTC so he can give you a safe antibiotic. Or check with the Chemist and see what they say since you already have the script. Also, depending on how long you have to take them, it might be ok. Remember, implantation takes a few days so anything you take before implantation won't affect the baby!

Hope that helps and I hope your mouth clears up soon hon

MG

thanks guys. I asked the pharmacist and he said the penicillin is fine cos its in the "A" grade of medecines safe for pregnancy.

With the other one, he said it is in the "B2" category which means they dont have enough evidence to say it has no effect, but so far they havent heard of any interference.

for $50 they better not! :mad:

Yeah I took antibiotics fairly early on because of my sinuses. I was assured it was safe. Hope you feel better soon

Glad you spoke to the Pharmacist Danni. Hopefully you will feel better soon! $50! WOW! I can't believe medicine is so expensive!

it hurts so bad!! im only coping with the TEENY idea that i may actually be preg. I have funny fluttering things in my tummy. Please tell me its all in my head!

Ohhh... flutterings in the tummy sounds good !!! I get flutterings in my tummy everytime i've conceived... I usually put it down to gas though !! lol