Thread: Antidepressants while pregnant

razzle Guest

Default Antidepressants while pregnant

Hello,
    I suffer from depression and am 17 weeks PG. Are there any other PG women out there who have been advised to stay on medication while pregnant? Love to chat with you.
    Razzle

I knew someone whith bipolar who stayed on their meds until 2-3 weeks b4 due date. They had to wean the baby off them before she was born. Not sure what meds or anything... not much help really... 8-[

Good luck

Tanya

I'm on antidepressants for post natal depression. I have to stay on them, I don't have any choice. I wish so much I didn't have to be.

Melinda Guest

I'm on AD's also.

razzle Guest

Well it looks like there is a few of us out there. I have been really ashamed about staying on my medication. But I truly and honestly have to believe that if we are happy and well balanced we will be A). better mothers and B). have happy and well balanced children.
    I have been really torn about this but since chatting to a few of you girls I feel so much better!
    Razzle

Melinda Guest

I really resent the fact that I have to stay on my medication also, razzle. But I know that I would be a wreck without them (my pregnancy with Jacob whilst not on AD was a shocker). So it's much better for me to stay on them (and for DH and Jacob). I feel bad for this baby though - last PG I hesitated to take a panadol, so this does weigh on my mind heavily.

What AD are you on, if you don't mind me asking? I'm on Zoloft (50mg).

I'm told that with the ADs I'm on, I would need to wean myself off before the birth so that the baby doesn't have to go through withdrawals after birth - I'm not entirely sure if that applies to all ADs though

In the case of extreme depression - probably best for all if mum stays on the ADs though...

BW

I went to my GP today, and she told me to stop taking AD's - and if I were to carry on, I would have to come off them before the birth anyway. I am going to councelling for PND, so hopefully, fingers crossed, I should be ok.

I agree though, if AD's help you from day to day it is ultimately better for mum and baby.

Good luck xx

Melinda Guest

What AD were you on WelshGirl and BW, if you don't mind me asking?

razzle Guest

Im on Cipramil Melinda. I now take half a 10mg tab a day.
    Razzle

Hey there Razzle,
    It was really compforting for me to read your comments. i'm also on cipramil. One tablet a day. i am trying to conceive no 3. I have spoken to an ob and she said that there really isnt sufficient data that is conclusive on the safety of ad's during pregnancy. However studies have indicated that the risk to the baby is minimal. But also the mothers mental health needs to be assessed as to whether she is more of a danger to herself whilst off them. I had pnd with both pregnancies. Mild with baby one and chronic with no 2,had to be hospitalised in a mother baby unit for 4 months(if not longer). I had ect so my memories about that time in my life are very sparse(thankfully) . I stayed on meds for years,but was able to come off them. My mental health was excellent for a good two years until christmas 04,when i had a breakdown and the doctor put me back on one tablet a day. I contemplate going off the one tablet a day,but i just don't feel i'm quite there yet.. Whatsmore with ttc my hormones are a bit scattered so i don't want to rock the boat. i'm more interested in keeping things nice and calm and as relaxed as possible. Would be really interested in hearing more about you,and sharing in your pregnancy journey(hopefully i wont be too far behind you).
    [-o<
    Pauline

i was on escitalopram- or cipralex.

O

pauline - what an awful time you've had. good luck with ttc no 3. Are you worried about PND happening next time too?

When I delivered last time, I felt immediately so low i've never felt so bad in my life. I knew that people had 'baby blues', but this was horrendous. I couldn't stop crying, and feeling hysterical. It's really hard to talk about, and I just hope and pray I don't get it again with bubs no 2. 8-[

Tashy Guest

Hi Hi,

I'm on Efexor XR 150mg (have been for 7 years, have tried to come off a few times with no luck). I am now 7w1d pregnant, I spoke to my doctor about my antidepressants while we were TTC and she advised that they according to her book there had only been limited testing with no adverse reactions.

I also called up an information service and was advised that in _some_ cases there has been some withdrawl symptoms on the baby after birth. However my doctor doesn't feel that this is a cause for concern.

I've thought about this long and hard tho and I'm going to request to go onto 75mg and then see how I go on that, and then maybe ween myself off slowly during the pregnancy.

My main concern is that the stress and emotional anxiety of me going off the AD's will actually end up harming my child more than the withdrawl symptoms. Especially during the first trimester.

In this case tho, I think it boils down to what I think is best.

Hope this helps.

From Tash

Hi there Welshgirl,
    I think that we are/were actually on the same ad. i believe that cipramil is called other things all over the world. i think the drug itself is citalopram. As for worried about ttc no 3 and the effects of pnd;i am concerned. my mental health now is great;but i am very aware that i may even be suseptible to pnp(which is even more worrying). My life is very different these days;very happy unlike my previous marriage. I also have a very strong network of friends and family. Everybody noes i'm going it alone and although they don't approve of my choice they are happy to stand by and support me. I have had one lot of insemination last month and no success,next delivery is thursday-then tww. I think i may even accidently found myself a boyfriend( i use that word very loosely;as he is a male friend)who supports my choices but we are growing very fond of each other.
    Hope everything is going well with you. Are you on ads at the moment?
    I sincerely look foward to hearing more about your pregnancy.

Love
    Pauline