Thread: antidote for awful smells?

Annie Guest

Default antidote for awful smells?

I don't really have morning sickness (6 weeks pg), but certain smells can send me right over the edge into horrible nausea -- and unfortunately changing my toddler's dirty diapers is one of those smells. Since I'm obviously not going to take the "don't change him" approach (except when DH is around to do it for me), I'm hoping someone has an idea about something that can work to combat a strong reaction to a particular smell. Any ideas? I'd be so grateful!

My sister is currently going through the same thing. She has to run to the toilet when she changes her toddler. Have you thought of burning inscense or something like that? Could all just make it worse, but maybe it's worth a try?

My son currently has Gastro so changing the nappies is making me feel sick and I am not even pregnant. I now have an oil burner going in his room that has a few drops of pine oil in it. This seems to be helping

Love

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I have seen on t.v shows when they do autopsy's they dab some vicks under their nose, if it's so bad maybe you could give that a try

I'd go with a suggestion similar to Kathryn's.......an oil burner with some lavender oil in it, or have a tissue witha tiny amount of lavendar oil on it to sniff.

And of course, the obvious, fresh air, open the windows etc. Tricky if it is too chilly though........

Mandarine essential oil in a burner - it's a pleasant smell which also has anti-nausea properties.

My "bad" smell that put me over the edge was garlic - I couldn't go near the kitchen for 2 weeks and didn't know what it was as it didn't smell anything like garlic at the time, was just my nose doing weird things!

I was going to suggest what Lucy has said maybe put some lavender oil in an oil burner. I know for myself that is the only oil/perfume smell I can handle atm.

Although Bec's idea of vicks under the nose is a good one too.

Default reply

Matey I was so the same,and my trick is just THROW UP.LOL 8-[

Annie Guest

I love the lavendar oil suggestion -- it's what I used to relax while in labor with DS. Thanks for all the great ideas. And seriously, Nadia, I am still cracking up over your post! I guess I have been fighting the urge rather than giving in...maybe I should just embrace it!! Thanks for making me laugh at the end of a long day.

Some good suggestions in here. Sometimes tho, the smell hits you when you least expect it! I was walking through the plaza the other day, and the cleaner with the stinking rubbish trolley came past, and I nearly gagged on that!

I'm also finding lingering cooking smells at night are making me feel a little off. I'll be trying the lavender oil suggestion. I just hope it doesn't mix with the other smells and make it worse!

Wouldn't vicks under your nose sting your upper lip?? I remember doing it once as a kid to clear my nose, and it burnt!