Thread: Antihistamines in pregnancy

Default Antihistamines in pregnancy

I have the worst hayfever and my nose is insanly itchy but not sure if i can take antihistamine? If not, is there anything i can take to stop it?

hey hun, in asked about this too and the doc told me that they fall into the "unknown if safe" category, so nup.

I feel your pain!!

I was always told not to take them. There are natural tablets you can take. They dont work as well, but have some relief babe. Just ask at the chemist.

I was told that Polarmine (or something similar, I'm at work so can't check the pack) were safe to use all throughout pregnancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gudism View Post
    I was told that Polarmine (or something similar, I'm at work so can't check the pack) were safe to use all throughout pregnancy.
    My ob said these were fine.

Yep i'm taking polaramine. Only the "non drowsy" ones are supposed to be avoid. I was told to start these by my dermatologist and OB has ok'd it also. They don't make me drowsy but i only take 1 in the morning and 1 at night, and only if i need it. I just had to stop them by 35 weeks so that in case bub comes early it is not "groggy"..

Polaramine is safe to take,this was the only hay fever tablet my Doctor recommended,or for a badly blocked stuffed up nose try eating fresh chopped up chillies with a meal,only if you can tolerate them,it realy helps with the nose,but be careful of the heart burn. lol.

Another vote for Polaramine. It must be safe because my doc told me to give it to my DS when he had an allergic reaction at 7 months.

Enchanted Guest

You poor thing

My hayfever has been bad too lately. When I was pg with Oscar I was told that I could take Avil. They are drowsy ones but I used to take half to minimise the sleepiness but it helped my hayfever heaps.

I'd talk to your pharmacist. Obviously taking nothing is your best option but if it's really bad head down to the chemist

Red face :(

hello-u poor thing...
    paloramine is fine... the drowzy ones...
    i have bad allergies and anaphalactis and the doc said that is fine and class A.i rang the baby hospital and they said that is fine too...
    take care...

Polaramine is safe it is Category A

I have extremely bad hayfever and they were great

Its really best to try natural alternatives and only use medication as a last resort - even though some antihistamines are thought of as 'safe' they still interfere with natural body processes and can have side effects. I've found Quercetin really good against hayfever, it is a naturally occuring flavanoid found in some fruits and vegatables and can be taken in capsule form, available from health stores. There are also some great homeopathic remedies for hayfever. :-)