Thread: Any experience with Castor Oil??

heather85 Guest

Default Any experience with Castor Oil??

Have any of you tried Castor oil or know anybody that has?? I'm considering trying it this evening?? Just wondering if it really works?? On another website i go to a couple girls have tried it and are in labor right now!!

im due today and i tried it last friday, didnt work at all...but my insides were clean

i read somewhere recently, sorry can't remember where, that it's actually a dangerous thing to do, so i wouldn't be too quick to try it without checking with your midwife first.

Taz

Sal Guest

yes, I thought it was a no-no nowadays

Yes I have known women to try it & wind up in hospital with dehydration due to diarrhoea and not labour. I think that is the main reason why it is a no-no nowadays.

ETA: Check out This article on the main site about natural induction methods. There is also a bit in there about using Castor oil.

My mum's friend tried that, and she took so much she's ended up clogged up and got haemmorriods (sp?) (soz if tmi, but its true) so i didnt dare try.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Natural Induction Methods has a list of natural induction methods and includes castor oil. I wouldnt take it personally because on top of everything else, I wouldn't want diahorrea in labour.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I actually took it for a cold once, someone said it would shorten the illness, so i took a dessert spoon, and an hour later, i was as sick as a dog.

It can not only give you the runs but can also make baby pass meconium, which is why it's a big no-no. A friend of mine took it and landed in hospital because of dehydration and extremely intense braxton hicks that didn't turn into labour. So i wouldn't be trying it personally.

I took it Thismy experience with it:
    The grossest taste,
    Diarrohea all night
    Not one single contraction came from it!!!!!!
    Useless, and i agree with the others don't do it can cause some side effect,Kelly has recommend an acupuncturist!!! Which i am still waitinng re details