Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any other veggies out there with meat cravings?!?

Sal Guest

Default Any other veggies out there with meat cravings?!?

I have been vegetarian (though eat tuna) for over a year now and am finding that since being pg I am getting cravings for meat, it only happens at night when I see someone on telly eating meat. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone believe that this means I am missing out on some nutrient (perhaps haem iron) or is it just 'one of those things'?

well i was never a vegetarian, but not really a big meat eater. now that seems to be all i want for dinner. i think my body must be craving the iron and protein.

Sal Guest

Jillian, I have been eating more eggs that I normally do (although must admit the 'eggy' smell is offputting) so perhaps that is my body wanting more protein. I have also eaten on 3 separate occasions a 180g tin of tuna (that was my compromise to eating meat) in the last couple of weeks.

I am not sure that I could sit down and eat meat. I have always had difficulty with the idea of eating animals (I struggle even with the tuna) so that's the reason I have stopped eating meat. Also, my parents live rurally so I see cows grazing all the time, and the idea of eating one is very hard.

I am going to ask the OBS about the possibility of me not getting enough nutrients, and if he recommends that I eat some meat then I suppose I will, but I think I'd prefer taking the iron supplement.

It's happened to me as well. Never a meat eater (other than seafood) and now I crave a big fat piece of red meat every other day. I never could stomach meat - and since being preggers I have an insatiable appetite for it. My DH thinks the transformation is hilarious. Will be interesting to see whether it tapers off once Gus is born. I've been bleeding constantly since week 5 of my pregnancy - so I'd say in my case it is definitely my body reminding me to take care of my iron/protein needs.

Sal Guest

So Kirsty are you actually eating meat, or just craving it?

Sal Guest

Jillian, I was just watching The Sopranos last night (and on that show all the main character does is eat!) and they were eating spag bol and I was salivating! Emotions aside, I actually like the taste of meat and spag bol was one of my fave dishes.

Sal, I'm eating meat. Steaks cooked with various toppings; beef and lamb stirfries; spag bol; roast beef/lamb etc. All things I would have dry retched at the mere sniff of prior to being pregnant.

Sal Guest

Hmmm perhaps I'll have to consider getting off my moral high-horse on this one...

i LOVE A NICE BIG THICK JUICY STEAK TOO, BUT CANNOT HANDLE THE SMELL OF COOKING IT SO i ORDER A STEAL EVERY TIME WE GO OUT, BUT i CAN COOK OTHER MEAT & SPG BOL, LASAGNE (WHICH i MADE AGAIN YESTERDAY FOR DINNER TONIGHT!)

ooops sorry been doing work & forgot about caps!!!!! 8-[

Melody Guest

How funny! I didn't eat meat for over 18 months (& I have had several periods like this over the years.... in & out of vegetarianism) & it was the spaghetti that finally tipped me over after a Godfather marathon!

Truthfully, I had both a moral problem with meat as well as a dislike for how 'full' it made me feel. I did pretty much want it straight away (after falling pregnant) so I pushed my various feelings aside & now have two chicken, two red meat, two seafood & a vegetarian dinner a week.

My overall feelings on meat have not personally changed & I will probably find myself back on the veggie train after a few months of breastfeeding. Having said that, it was a personal choice & had I not chosen to give in I was quite prepared to seek alternatives throughout the pregnancy. I am sure full vegetarians have healthy pregnancies & babies all the time. The jury on whether we are actually designed to eat & digest meat is still out anyway so just do what feels right for you.

When I fell pregnant with Isaac I was only eating chicken and fish, no red meat at all. Not for any moral reason, but my partner didnt eat red meat and it was just easier. I craved meat big time while I was pregnant but didnt really eat any, only once or twice. At one of my check-ups (at about 35 weeks?) the doc found out I was really anaemic and I needed to take heavy duty iron supplements for the rest of the pregnancy. Isaac was fine, but I felt so guilty that he might have been missing out. So even if you dont cave and eat meat, definately have a chat to your doctor in case you need some kind of supplement.

Hi Sal.

I can so relate. I have been veg for most of my life, so was a huge shock when i was pregnant each time except this time to be literally craving anything meaty. I actually gave in and did eat what i was craving but still felt bad afterwards. This time I do not crave meat at all. The actual idea of it was making me feel sick. Im not a strict vego...but I dont cook meat at home..i cook veg meals. If we go out for dinner though I might order a meat dish.

Jo

Sal Guest

Thanks, girls. I think if I am really craving meat then I will just eat some and try to not feel guilty. 8-[

Margot_In_Oz Guest

I'm the opposite. I used to love meat and now I can't face it.

I've never been a spag bol fan but after reading all these posts, I swear I'm dying to eat some.

Margot.

Isn't it funny how we are all the opposite to what we normally are. I was the same as you Margot. I love meat normally but when I was pregnant I couldn't stand it the smell would make me purge. I remember I couldn't cook at times and definitely no cutting meat (makes me squeemish at the best of times). But the smell of it cooking was the worst part for me.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Margot_In_Oz Guest

Hi Cailin,

My husband was pleased to hear that I will return to normal after the pregnancy!

For the last two months, I craved ice cream, but thankfully that has now passed.

M

I was anaemic in my first pregnancy and suffered immensely during and after labour for my lack of iron. During this pregnancy my Dr told me best way to boost my iron was to eat tabouli (which i love) and cheeseburgers.....(no kidding). So thats exactly what im doing....

Sal I was a strict Vegan before I was pregnant with Alana. I craved so bad for meat and I ended up caving. I started of with cheese, then fish and finally red meats. I went crazy!!!! I am still eating meat, but tonight I had my vege burger and loved it!

Try not to feel guilty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast