Thread: Anyone chosen not to have U/S?

Question Anyone chosen not to have U/S?

I have seriously considered having no ultrasounds with my next pg, or at the very most having the 20wk scan and thats all.

Has anyone here deliberatley chosen not to have ultrasounds in their pg?

I have not chosen to have no ultrasounds, but in my case I have always felt that one is enough - the 'standard' one at 18-20 weeks, just to check that bub is developing ok. I have never felt the need to have any more as I don't think they are necessary for me. Having said that I can see why women would have more, and if my doctor or midwife wanted me to have one for a particular reason then I would do it, but in general for me the one is enough.

Yes I was only going to have the 20wk scan as well.... Only thing is it hasn't worked out that way due to ending up in the ER for a bit and getting bleeding another time. And now they want me to have a scan at 28 and 36 weeks due to having Crohn's disease to check the baby is still growing ok.

But if there's no other issues and you wouldn't do anything about an adverse NT scan ... having one scan sounds fine to me?

Quote Originally Posted by rayray
    I have seriously considered having no ultrasounds with my next pg, or at the very most having the 20wk scan and thats all.

Has anyone here deliberatley chosen not to have ultrasounds in their pg?

I only wanted the standard ultrasounds, and told my OB this, but he said he likes to have a quick look each visit, and assured me they were quick looks (and they were!) so I didn't worry too much about it.

I can't remember what he checked now.. think he checked the position, heartbeat, and fluid?? can't remember. He also told me when u/s are bad for the baby.. and it's when the u/s is excessively long, and held on one particular spot on the baby for too long, it can heat them up or something. But standard u/s are fine.

It's kinda nice having that quick peek each visit tho.. altho usually it wasn't long enough for me work out what I was looking at. LOL.

Not me, but a GF has chosen this path. Hers is a much awaited IVF baby and she has decided against all testing and all scans.

I have two friends who have both chosen not to have any u/s. Both for different reasons - one because no matter what they found out, they would keep and love their children. The other because she was worried (in her mind) what the u/s waves might do to their baby.

If I'm in Sussex for my next pg and maternity in my hospital is closed, as they keep threatening to do, I'll be having no U/S scans in my next pg: Brighton "can't do" the 12w scan and TBH parking is such a b*tch for a 5-minute look at the baby in a horrid dirty hospital that I'd not have them done. So it is a consideration with me, yes, although I'm having 4-5 with this one! I think my DH needs it more than I do, otherwise I wouldn't be too worried having all that many with this one.