Thread: anyone had CVS (especially in WA)

tianar Guest

Default anyone had CVS (especially in WA)

Hi im interested in anyone who has had a CVS .Im from Perth and they wont book me in until im 12 and half weeks. I thought it could be done from 11 weeks. They also say results take 2 to 3 weeks. As i have a genetic problem it leaves it so late if a termination needs to be considered (not saying i would defenitely have one) Love to hear from others experiences. Also concerned about CVS glad to hear both good and bad.

thanks

Hi Tianar,
    I am in Qld but it shouldn't matter what state you are in. A CVS can and is performed from 11 weeks and 3 days (I think I have the days right but could be out a bit). CVS is performed earlier than amnio and it is very helpful for women who need an earlier diagnosis. Also a "Fish test" is done on the sample this only takes 24 hours and is an intermediate result. It gives conclusive results in 24 hours on a small number of chromosomal defects (the most common ones) and the more comprehensive culture of the specimen can take up to 2 weeks.

Are you seeing an obstetrician? Have a look in your phone book for a 'Foetal Medicine Unit' usually attatched to a hospital. In Brisbane we have 2 Foetal Medicine Units and 1 is attatched to a public hospital and the other to a private one. Call the unit and explain to them your details. I am sure you will find someone who will be able to help you. If you can't find a Foetal Medicine Unit in Perth let me know and I will contact the unit I go to here and ask for a number in Perth if you would like.
    I am sorry you are having to go through this.
    Love and hugs,
    Deb

Hi

I had a CVS with DD .. A went for my NT scan at 12W4D and my result with blood test came back 1:12.. so a CVS was offered..

I had the test done late on a friday afternoon so even though we paid the extra money for the "FISH" test we had to wait until monday afternoon for the results..

We were lucky, we havea healthy little girl who is almost 2.

I am booked for my NT for this pregnancy for March 10.. I just hope i wont need another CVS..

All the best for you..
    xoxo

tianar Guest

thanks for all the best wishes. i had never heard of the FISH test, all i was told was it would take 2 to 3 weeks to get full report. will defenitly find out, hopefully its available in perth.