Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone NOT done the GBS test?

Default Anyone NOT done the GBS test?

Hi everyone,

I am seriously considering NOT undertaking the Gruop B Strep test in late pregnancy but am owrried the Birthing Centre I'm booked into will not allow this or bully me into it - has anyone else had this experience?

Koru, although I did do the test I was not pressured at all. I was told it was completely optional by my midwife. Hopefully you wont feel pressured to do the test.

Im thinking about it as well.
    They cant make you have any tests that you dont want to have, they're just supposed to inform you/offer them to you.

a lot of OBs dont routinely do the GBS test.

hgjjkjhhklhkl.m,lkkkkkkkkkzmkkljjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;bnggnjknkhkjkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkhjhzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhffj gffhffhhmbnvngcbc vnvjgjngvbbbmnbbvcvbb,mbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb bbbbbbbbmh,hmbmbn,bmgmgm

Oops!! Sorry!
    Bri decided to have her say!

Now, my turn.
    When I was pg with DD1 I was young & didn't have any tests done. The only reason they found out my blood type is coz they took it while I was in hospital with ms.
    I was never pressured, just reminded, lol. The main reason I didn't do them is coz I was scared of needles.
    Last edited by ~clover~; March 19th, 2009 at 11:05 AM.

With #4 and #5 i had it done, was positive, and had fast labours with no antibiotics anyway....

Didn't bother with the test for #6!!!

My OBS doesn't test for GBS because your results can change throughout the pregnancy.

My midwives never even mentioned the test, didn't bother doing it. The results are useless really anyway as you can have it at the time of test and not at time of birth or vice versa. I doubt you'd be bullied into it, most things are optional really, and at the birth centre I'd say they probably wont even offer it.

i declinded and my midwife recommend i decline anyway

Like the others have already said it should not be a problem if you wish to not have it done. I had it done and the result was neg but Flynn got an infection anyway and was treated with abs for a week. As Leasha said it changes constanly it is really a fairly useless test.
    I probably won't bother getting it done this time. It is only a swab tho, not a bt

Quote Originally Posted by bjrose View Post
    hgjjkjhhklhkl.m,lkkkkkkkkkzmkkljjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;bnggnjknkhkjkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkhjhzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhffj gffhffhhmbnvngcbc vnvjgjngvbbbmnbbvcvbb,mbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb bbbbbbbbmh,hmbmbn,bmgmgm
    hahahaha! I remember my son writing a lot of 'messages' like this when he was younger

I was never asked OR told about the test with any of my 3 babies...so ive never had it done!

Which birth centre are you booked into? I just had DS at Monash BC and they don't offer the swab at all. I asked the midwives about it because everyone else in my belly buddies group was having there's done and it hadn't even been mentioned to me at any appointments and I was told Southern Health don't do the GBS testing at all. As the others said, it gives no indication of whether you'll be infected at term or not so it's fairly useless in that regard.

I am another one who has never had it done - and never even had it mentioned to me by the midwives or doctors at the antenatal clinic. If it was mentioned, I would decline anyway.

I'm not going to have it either.

Never heard of it, let alone had it.

I survived with DS, I think I'll survive this time. How many things can they test for?? Is pregnancy becoming too much of a medical procedure, or is that just me??

The Step B test is a swab done similar to pap smear but less painful and only for a seconds and sent off for results.

I had it done with Julia's pregnancy but didnt need it done with Tara as I was had a c/s.

I decided to have the test but just from a birth centre perspective... I chatted about my options with my birth centre midwife and was not at all pressured to have the test. If I had it and came back positive I could still decide how I wanted to manage that (ie. antibiotics in labour were not essential). However if I didn't have the test and ended up being transferred to the main hospital I would be treated as positive and the main hospital pushed antibiotics. Based on that I decided to have it for the chance of being negative so I would be treated that way rather than being treated positive in either case. In the end I was negative and wasn't transferred anyway but I did it for paperwork insurance IYKWIM. I personally hold no value in the test.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast