Thread: Anyone tried Dopplers

Default Anyone tried Dopplers

Hello,

I wondered whether anyone could recommend a Doppler, I was looking at the ones on ebay but unsure if they are decent or not.

I bought mine off ebay and it works perfectly. I would have gone insane without it.

Yep i have one from ebay too. Its the one from fertility naturopath with the lcd reading screen. You can also buy the same one from the fertility naturopath website...not sure which is cheaper. I love mine too

I have that one too Danni. Great aren't they?

A what?

I was going to get one because I think I am going to go slightly crazy during this pregnancy, but my High Risk Ob said it was much better way to see how bub is going to do a movement chart.

You start at the same time every morning say 9.00am, and count how long it takes to get to 10 movements. If every day you get to 10 movements by 1.00pm, and then one day it takes until 3.00pm, then he said it would be worth coming in for fetal monitoring.
    Obviously you have to wait until you are getting strong, regular movements for this to work.

For those of us who are paranoid, I think it is a great way to feel like you are being proactive in keeping track on bub and apparently is more accurate then a doppler which only takes the heart rate at a moment in time.

To be honest, I might get a doppler anyway but don't tell my Ob (lol)

xxooxx
    Spring

HMM, interesting!!- when do you start counting movments??

You usually start counting movements around 28 weeks.

phew, thanks so much tegan!! i was starting to panick!! i feel squirmies but not 10 a day . not even every day!!

you saved me from a heart attack!! LOL

Celtic moon - Dopplers are mini ultrasound type wands that are used externally on your stomach to hear the babys heartbeat. They are great if you are wanting to reassure yourself. However, you need to be aware that it is not always easy to find babys heartbeat especially in early pregnancy. It may cause you to be more stressed if you can't hear it. Midwives also have trouble finding heartbeats using their machines so you need real patience when searching.

Thanks Katie G, by how many weeks into preg are they effective? i.e you are likely to hear it easier and more clearly? About 2nd trimester onward?

I would say most effective around 18-20weeks. I'm not sure, just know that I don't think I want the worry if I couldn't find a heartbeat. I'll be quite happy with the movements, once they eventually start being felt by me. lol

If your lucky you can hear the heartbeat from about 12 weeks with a doppler nut it can be very hard to find

Oh forgot to add. I use a doppler. I'd be lost without it LOL

thanks Alan,

my hubby has chucked a hissy fit over it and says he doesnt want me to use one.

I will wait a few more weeks then probably buy one anyways as i need the piece of mind.

I bought an AngelSounds feotal heart doppler via ebay & love it. I borrowed my friends at 14.5wks with my last pg & found h/beat, 1wk later bought my own. With this one, I found it at 10w5d, but they say around 12wks on it can be detected. My obgyn was impressed that I was able to find it earlier than 13-15wks, hehe. After this one, i'll prob sell, as dont think we'd go for a 3rd.