Thread: Anyone using or used tummy wraps?

sonsangel Guest

Default Anyone using or used tummy wraps?

Not sure if you know what I mean, the spandex material that just covers the top of your jeans or skirt. I have seen them on Ebay and am thinking about how easy they would be to make. I already have the belly belt I bought from Target but I only used them a few times, when I was preg with DS, as I wasn't keen of the feeling that my fly was wide open. These ones actually cover it so you don't feel like you pants are going to fall down.

Was just wondering if it's worth buying for $10 ea or making them myself?

I've seen them for up to $40 each so $10 is pretty good!

But they can't be that hard to make can they...? (Mind you I can't sew for the life of me hehe)

I think they're great - I'm using the belly belt at the moment and I have the same problem so I wear a similar coloured band over the top of that. I have black, white and purple which I actually picked up from JayJays for $10. I think I'm still sitting quite high though but they seem to fit well.

I also find they're excellent to help extend those tops that are just a little too short for comfort hehe!

I think the problem you would have making them would be getting the right fabric with the right amount of elasticity in it, or otherwise it wont work as it should IYKWIM? I think $10 from Ebay is a bargain though.

Fee Guest

Yeah $10 sounds good to me! I also thought they were more like $40.

Although I was looking online and Belly Button Maternity has some reduced to $19 from $29.

I was wondering if they would be easy to make (or for mum to make). Doesn't lycra come in a tube anyway when you buy it?

sonsangel Guest

Thanks for the feedback,

I am not really needing just yet, but will probably in about 4-6 wks. So I have a bit of time up my sleeve. I am planning to get out this arvo to look at materials at Lincraft and Spotlight. Might be worth a phone call to my Mil. Even though she doesn't know it yet, she will be the one making them, hehe.

Still, might be worth getting a couple of the ebay ones to get the pattern, shape elasticity right.

I am sure they would just be a cotton/lycra tube. I have been thinking about making some myself, although I don't know how to sew stretch fabrics.

Sonia, i have been living in these things, i just cant go a day without one, they are fantastic, i bought a couple from supre but now they dont seem to sell them so i made some, i just got lycra and made it into a tube etc. great for holding up pants when you cant get them done up and they cover the top too so you cant see that you have your pants undone.

I payed $10 for mine so i think thats a pretty good price but i would highly recommend them!! get as many colours as you can too!!

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dee78
    i bought a couple from supre but now they dont seem to sell them
    I think a friend of mine used to buy them from Supre with her first pregnancy but now you can't get them anymore. They were really in fashion for a while there (for non-pregnant women!).

sonsangel Guest

I remember them in Supre.
    I found and bought a couple of them on Ebay 2 for $16.50 and that is the buy now price.

If you're interested she has alot at that price. Just PM me if you would like her link.

Damo Guest

I've been using some of my normal strappy singlet tops pulled down like a band IYKMIM. I tuck the straps under and with another top covering it you don't even notice. Best of all I didn't have to spend a cent!

I used them earlier on I got mine 3 for $20 at JJ's bargain!!! I worse the bely belt under it though to stop trousers falling down!

skyelar Guest

I got a few from Supre with my last pg. That is when it was all the rage to layer your tops iykwim?

I also used plain strapless tops as well. They had heaps more fabric in them rather than just the wide band type ones.
    I got them from Miss Shop in Myer.

I wasn't a fan of having my fly undone either!

cazoraz Guest

Hi Son,

I made my own to wear when preggers with Coleman and it was great! I just got a cheap singlet top and cut a big band off the bottom EASY AS THAT! I dont have a sewing machine or anything, so this was just as good. The singlet top was a lycra/cotton one and was one size bigger than my normal size, so it lasted me ages and expanded as I did, then later on I made another one out of an even bigger singlet top.

Good luck!
    Caz