Thread: Anything i can take for a cold?

Default Anything i can take for a cold?

I have only just got over a cold 2 weeks ago which took me 3 weeks to get over and now i have another one! I cannot put up with this for another 3 weeks, especially being 35 weeks pregnant, it's really tiring me out. Is there anything at all that i can take for it to go away faster? Anything herbal at all even? Panadol isn't even doing anything for my sore sinuses.

Have u tried steam vaporisers for some sinus relief and cleansing? If u don't have one then u can always pour boiling water into a shallow bucket/lge bowl, put some eucalyptus or lavender oil in (just check what oils are safe in pg with chemist) and hold a towel over u and bowl taking in deep breaths of the steam. Just be careful not to overheat
    Also garlic and ecanacia (sp?) herbal tablets are really good to ward off nasty germs.

Sorry i can't be of too much help - hope this cold finally leaves u alone soon

Tegan, are you really congested? I have been "allowed" by by OB to use Octravin sparingly (ie at night before bed)....and my SIL who has a different OB is of the same mind, that it is totally safe for pg women, as long as it is not over-used.

It is a nasal spray that REALLY works........

Lucy, would i have to get a prescription for it? Might be just the thing i need because i am so blocked up i can't even blow my nose at all.

Aww Tegan, I so feel for you. I had the worse sinus when pg with Tehya and Noah. I have it really bad atm too. Mr Dr suggested that I used a nasal spray too. Either that or just use some Fess!!

I hope it clears up for you sweety. Nothing worse than going into labour when your sick

Tegan, no, you don't need a script, but it is a pharmacy medicine ie only from behind the counter at a chemist, not from the supermarket.........

i am so blocked up i can't even blow my nose at all
    .......I am the same.......only it is not a cold, it seems I always get this when pg.......really awful congestion, like a cold, so that my nose is PERMANANTLY stuffed up.........I put up with it through the day and then use the Octravin when desparate at bedtime so that I can sleep/breath through my nose/don't snore like a pig..........
    Last edited by Lucy; September 9th, 2006 at 03:08 PM.

also, codiene is ok during late pgcy as long as not taken constantly for weeks. Maybe try some panadine instead of just panadol? Dr might prescribe panadine forte if u ask as that is safe (was given it during late pgcy with both my girls when I had migraines). There are Blackmores Vitamins:- Garlic, vit C, eccinacea and Zinc (all in one tablet) which are said to boost the immune system to fight colds (I take them whenever I get a cold and they work well for me)... Hope you feel better soon as having a cold, being pg and running after a baby is hell.....

Melinda Guest

You can always go and grab a saline spray at the chemist too Tegan. I had a shocking cold/sinus thingo earlier in the PG which lasted some two weeks and the saline spray really helped. It's totally safe for use during PG.

Those saline sprays do nothing for me, too bad coz there's lots here for Lily's cold!

I can't actually take codine anyway because it irritates me asthma. Pregnancy is great in every way except i can't take anything! What did people do years ago when none of this info was available? Their babies are still fine. I don't get it.

When pregnant i always have the stuffy nose too, but least i can still blow it, but with the way i get colds thertes always something to go with it. Either asthma or my nose gets or blocked that i can feel it in the back of my throat(sorry if tmi). Don't know how i can just get over a cold and then get another one though, i haven't been out anywhere! Still don't know where Lily got her's either, obviously the same place though as we got it on the same day.

Melinda Guest

Argh what a pain Tegan! I've had a couple of colds during my PG and both have been rather monumental in terms of the fact that they have gone on for faaaar too long (a lot longer than they would non-PG).

FWIW, I am also a bit 'nasaly' whilst PG anyway and it's a bit miserable huh?

I hope you're feeling better soon!

Zinc tablets are safe in pregnancy as long as you match up how much zinc is already in your prenatal vitamins with the extra you're taking to make sure you don't take too much. Also hot water with a couple thin slices of fresh ginger, a slice of fresh lemon, and a spoon full of honey will help soothe and fight off the cold. I think it tastes great too! Hope this helps and you get over it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvella
    Have u tried steam vaporisers for some sinus relief and cleansing? If u don't have one then u can always pour boiling water into a shallow bucket/lge bowl, put some eucalyptus or lavender oil in (just check what oils are safe in pg with chemist) and hold a towel over u and bowl taking in deep breaths of the steam. Just be careful not to overheat
    Just after I found out I was pg I stumbled across something which said you eucalyptus oil was a no no? I freaked a little because had used eucalyptus oil for DH for exactly the above. Someone may be able to confirm this?

The midwives told me to use vicks, doesn't that have eucalyptus oil in it? Hm....