Thread: ARGHHHHHHHHHH Cold!!

Default ARGHHHHHHHHHH Cold!!

I am 8 weeks pregnant and didn't have a lot of pg symptoms to start with. Now I have a horrid cold that has hit me pretty hard and the pg symptoms that I did have seemed to have disappeared. Do you think that because I'm feeling rough with this cold, I have forgotten about the pg symptoms?

Second, I am quite warm but don't think I have a temp, do you think I should have some paracetamol? And if so, how many?

Lastly, do you think this cold will be affecting my babies??

Ta!

Hi Jo,

My GP says its safe to take Panadol. Im not sure how many per day though.

Can you call your GP and ask her about if it will affect the babys?

Bel

Kirsty77 Guest

Hey Jo

I got sick early on in my pregnancy to with the flu.My doc said as long as you stick to the instructions on the back of the pack of panadol you are safe.Panadol is harmless to the baby as long as you do follow the instructions.

I suggest if you think you may have a temp make an appointment for the doctor.High temps and infections are not to good for bub or give them a call and they can suggest what you can take.Even a pharmacist can tell you what you can and cannot take so if you can't get a hold of your doc call your local pharmacy.

Hope you feel better soon................

jo, i have the flu at the moment myself! and it is one of the worst bouts i have ever had!! so i really feel for you.

i spent most of last night worrying about the same thing. i didnt have a really high temp, but was feeling a bit feverish.

panadol will help control your temp too, but i would say if you get an extremely high temp you should contact your gp.

hope you are feeling better soon!!

Linda

A cold will not harm the baby. I had the same thing happen to me, adn as soon as I recovered my Doc told me to get a flu jab, as flu is a bit different in regards to bub. So I did, had no reaction, and it's the best thing as everyone around me gets flu and I haven't!! Is safe to get jab while pregnant.
    Hope you're feeling better soon xoxo

A cold won't affect the babies at all. As the other girls have said you can take panadol and that won't harm the babies either, but if you are finding you have a high temp I would definitley go and see your GP.

I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks guys, it's nice to hear that so many other people have/had a cold while pg, IYKWIM!

I'm warm, but I don't think I have a temperture, I did ring the clinic today and they suggested paracetamol (panadol) but they didn't say how many. I will phone the chemist tomorrow.

Maybe take 2 now and see how they go.

I just remembered my GP told me when I had the flu with Nicholas to drink heaps, to keep fluid intake up.

Good luck.

hi joja, I too had a cold with both my last and current pg pretty much just after I found out i was expecting. I think maybe the cold maybe making you feel worse so therfore you can't feel the other symptoms but i am sure thay are still underlying.I was told also as long as i didn't exceed the dosage on the box I would be fine and so too would bubs. But if you think you are heating up too much i would suggest phoning your GP or OB, as overheating isn't good for either of you.

I was also told that a cold/ flu can come on at the start of pg as your body is dealing with all the changes and gets run down and tired and your immunity it not as good straight after falling pg. With both pg my cold/flu only lasted a week or two and i was fine, but i think all the sleeping i did and not overdoing it helped alot. In fact i just got rid of it in the last few days!

Take care and i hope you feel better soon
    Kas

Hey Jo

I've been exactly the same as you for the last week and a half but finally think I am coming out the other end. Everything I've read says it is quite common, like Kas said your immune system is low and that it doesn't affect the baby(s) at all. Still very worrying though I know. Hope you're feeling better.

Melinda Guest

Jo,

I'm quite certain that it's safe to take up to 8 panadol a day (no more than 2 every 4 hours)........just as it says on the box. But as always, ask your GP or your Pharmacist as they will be able to tell you for certain.

I really hope you are feeling better soon!

i caught a shocking cold when i was 8 weeks as well and it scared the willies out of me for fear of hurting bubs with every sneeze and nose blow! sounds silly doesn't it? hehe.. i've read in many places that it's okay to take panadol but i was too scared and just got plenty of rest. i also drank heaps and heaps of honey and lemon juice mixed with hot water.. surprisingly a cold went away a few days later. so maybe that's worth a try?

hope you're all feeling better soon