Thread: Baby Baths

*Rach* Guest

Default Baby Baths

Hello,
    I was just wondering what everyone’s opinions are on baby baths, are they necessary? I have been told not to buy one and to use the kitchen or laundry sink.. this seems strange to me.... If you do use one, which do you recommend?

Thanks

Rachael

Rach, we used ours about 5 times. In the end I found it very difficult to fill and then carry to a higher surface; so we just decided it was easier to bath Maddy in the big bath. So basically, I started bringing her in the bath with me and we would have some cuddly Mummy & baby time in the warm water together.

We used a baby bath around 5 times as well & then used the laundry sink (because our baby bath was actually sitting in the laundry sink to start with ) We bought a bath hammock and used that to help hold Matilda. We moved her to the big bath at 4 1/2 months.

LOL, the thought of a baby in my sinks...for so many reasons, it wouldn't work.
    It could work if you had a roomy sink with a bit of space around it...this probably could be achieved by having a clean kitchen

(I haven't had the chance to use it yet, but I got the plastic playgro pond one..cos it was cheap..if you can bathe them in a sink, perhaps features aren't all that important?
    I've seen ones designed egg-shaped, so they're deeper and feel more like the womb? And others that prop baby up so you don't get so tired supporting them..curious to see what others say...and I know I haven't been useful at all, sorry!!)

ETA: And I would have probably gone the shallow bath option, like many of my friends do, but it's a triangle spa bath...seems a bit over the top for just a baby!
    Last edited by Nelle; June 19th, 2006 at 02:03 PM.

I used a baby bath as it was easier than reaching down into the bath with a slippery newborn and bathed him in the bedroom where it was warmer as we were in a house with no central heating then. I will use one again, although the change tables with the bath under the table are useless - whats the point of that?

Rach, so much depends on the situation you have at home. Our bath is useless (not enough hot water to fill it) so a baby bath was essential.

We were given one which we used for a month or so until WM grew too big to use it. I have just bought a nice deep one for him (from KMart ... was quite inexpensive) and that is fine. Right from first coming home, I have bathed and changed him on the dining table (it's warmer in there too with the split-system air conditioner). I fill and empty the bath with a jug (unless DH is home, then he carries it for me). It works for us but you might have a better set up.

Janelle, I agree about the change tables ... I don't think they are a particularly useful thing for us either.

We used a baby bath for about 6 weeks - I had a c/s and found it too hard to kneel down at the bath. We used the baby bath on the kitchen table and filled it up with buckets. You can get the baths which have like a plug hole which makes it easy for emptying but only if it is in the bath otherwise there is no where for the water to go obviously. I'd use one again but then I have a dodgey back so I found it easier at table height.

I use a baby bath on the kitchen bench and fill it with one of those rubber hoses with a shower head that you can buy (although they don't fit all types of taps so you need to watch out and are limited length so no good if your bench space isn't near the sink) and tip straight into the sink when finished (no carrying full required). I got given the most basic model of bath with no trimmings and it works just fine. Like Nikbrad I have a bad back so this makes it easier. It will only last a few weeks though and then we will move to the shallow bath in the big bath option like Fletch does (at which time DH will have to do the bathing). I would use sinks if big enough (and actually do when away during the first month or so).

Indah is still in her baby bath as it has a plug & hose to drain it & we fill it up under the kitchen tap, (It fits under the kitchen tap to fill up) then I bath her & slide the back bit over the sink & pull out the plug & let it drain into sink.

Our BIG bath is almost twice as deep as a std bath & there's no way I could lean into it to bath her!

But Maddy was in a big bath from day 1 as that house had a low sided bath, so no big deal... It will depend on your big bath etc...

We bought a 2 in 1 bath and changetable. The bath slides out from under the changetable so that they're side by side and it has a tube for easy drainage. We used it until Kynan was about 3 months when he got to long for it (he'd kick against one end and bang his head on the other LOL!). Then we just used the big bath and I get in with him as it's too much of a PITA bending over to him all the time! When I was PG I considered just using a sink but there was no way DH was going to let me use the kitchen sink and using the laundry one would have been too tricky (not enough room plus we wouldn't be able to have the washing machine going at the same time). We still use the changetable part of it to get Kynan dried and dressed after his bath. So having a separate baby bath was worth it for us.

Lorin Guest

We have baught a baby bath with a stand for it to sit in, but have not used it yet, as bubs is not born yet. I have seen it used though, and this one also comes with a plug and hose to drain water out and i guess i would fill it up with a jugg or something. This one also have wheels to wheel it around
    I am planning on leaving the bath on stand in out big bathroom so we can use the bathroom bench for products to use even thought it comes with a bench on the side of the stand so you can put your soap and stuff in.

Janie Guest

I like the Fisher & Price Aquarium bath but at $60 it is a pretty expensive option. It claims to suit a newborn to 6 months and has a sling thing for newborns which I quite like the look of. We have a bath and a large laundry sink but with a 6 foot 5 inch husband (who I hope will do the bathing duties) I think it would be best to do the bathing on the table or kitchen bench to prevent back problems.

Will have to see if budget permits this purchase!

I definitely used it until she was about 4 months old I think.
    I put it up on a table in her room and just filled it with a bucket. It was so much easier than bending over the big tub. I couldn't do it in the sink....not where the dirty dishes have just been

For DD1 we used a baby bath for about 5-6 months, then for dd2 we didn't touch it. It's easier to stick her in the big bath with her sister.
    We have one with the hose that attaches down the bottom. Much easier to fill/empty.
    If you do get one, ours is around $20, i don't think there's a need to spend more than that.
    Cheers!

I used a baby bath for both of mine but Alex wasn't in it for long as he grew so fast. I used to bath with them in the big bath also and they loved it.