Thread: Baby Number 2 - is Number 1 jealous?

jcm73 Guest

Default Baby Number 2 - is Number 1 jealous?

I had an unnerving experience today.

DD is 18 months old this week, and #2 is due Christmas Day. I had a cuddle with new nephew and after about 5 seconds DD had curled up her bottom lip and was crying so hard I gave him back to his mother and comforted DD instead.

Is she jealous of seeing me with another baby?

If you have more than one child, how did you prepare the first one for the coming of the second?

I have read that you should always include the first child in conversations about the new baby by saying "our" baby instead of Mummy and Daddy's new baby etc. That way the first child thinks the baby belongs to them too. I have also read that you shouldn't let the first child meet the new baby by seeing it in your arms the first time, but let them meet the baby independently in a bassinet or something.

But how do I lay the groundwork now, before the baby gets here?? 8-[

I had my second baby in May. Kimberley is just over 2 and was funny at first but now she hugs him, if he is on the floor plays next to him and when he cries she gets upset and comes to get you.

I was scared at first how she would be as when i held someone elses baby she did not like it also.

I am sure everything will be okay.

Sal Guest

My sister had her second (a girl) when her DS was 18months old. She did tell him he had a brother or sister on the way but he was to young to understand. He was jealous of the new baby at first (some attempted head-stompings and eye-gougings) but they disappeared within a few weeks and then he just doted on her!

I'm sure your DS will be the same, once he gets used to having a sibling in the picture.

Phew,
    No need to worry, as my DD will be almost 7 when this baby is born!!! She wantsw to take over the baby!!!

Good Luck!!!!

When my sister had #2 she made sure she had a present for #1 from the baby, in the hospital with her (a barbie doll of course). She said it was from the new baby. Seemed to do the trick.

My first 4 were closish (is that a word??) and while I was pg I always let them feel the baby move and told them stories about what they can do with their new brother when they were bigger and things like that. There wasn't really any jealousy when their new brother arrived, they just wanted to be "in" on everything though and not feel left out.

There is 3 years and 9 months between my two and I haven't had any issues whatsoever, will definitly look at the same age gap with #3. I think because ChunkyBoy is older he understands a lot more which makes life a whole heap easier.