Thread: Baby Showers

Default Baby Showers

Ok, every time someone new finds out I'm pregnant I get "Oooohhhh! I can't wait for the baby shower!". This is not something I had previously thought about and I've never been to one before nor do I know anyone who has had one. So, who throws it? Can I throw it myself or do I need to convince one of my poor friends to organise it? Do I need to do games or is a BBQ at the Vic Parks place ok? And when do you have the shower? Hubby is going away when I'm 8 months and I don't know that I want him to miss out (it's his baby as much as mine!)
    Any advice would be appreciated - I know one of the lovely BB girls will have the answers!

MG

I didn't want a baby shower as I wanted DH to be there and enjoy it too, so we're having a 'welcoming party' once bub is born. That way the three of us are there to enjoy it.
    But I suppose you could have it anywhere, you could host it, or have a girlfriend/family member do it for you. There are lots of ideas on the net, if you just google 'baby shower'. Most of the women I know that have had them had them at around 7 - 8 months preg. Suppose it's up to you though.
    Have fun with it

I really think it depends on you & what you want. I didn't want a big deal, but some friends of mine did, so we compromised & had a garden arvo tea with no games & the boys joined us after an hour.

This time we are having a BBQ down in the park for friends to come & will do the invites ourselves indicating that we don't want gifts just $$ to go towards big items such as prams etc.

ohhh they are great fun! Normally though its only women but I cant see why you cant include the blokes too! (although i dont think theyd be too fond of the games!)

you can put it on yourself-- organise a few fun games and some snacks. You can have it in a park, no probs

Tigergirl1980 Guest

It does have to bee all women though you could have a couples baby shower I didn't have one as I didn't want to organise it and I don't have that many people to invite anyway I'm not really a big party thrower, I feel uncomfortable with the fact that I am inviting them to something and they have to bring a present, when really they don't. I hate people feeling obliged to do things like that for me.

I have also never been to one but as far as I know it's your choice what you want to do, where you want to go, what you want to have.

I like the idea of a welcoming party. We sort of had one of those but just with our friends. We would have regular gatherings anyway but we had one not long after we brought Jonah home so everyone could see him at home rather than in ths hospital.

I just had my baby shower last weekend...friends of mine organised it and I had my hubby and another guy there (although they were in another room watching a DVD most of the time...hehe). We had the shower at my house and the girls organised some great snacks (brought by most guests) and a few games (the best one is to get the guests to guess how big your belly is using a piece of string - then each person takes turns testing it around your belly - it is a lot of laughs).

I have also been to a 'welcoming party' which is a nice idea for those who don't like the whole 'baby shower' thing. Any excuse to get together with friends is always fun!

Just remember, there are no rules...you don't HAVE to do anything and you can make it what you want. Good luck!

I've been to a few baby showers and we had a great time. Some had games others just an afternoon tea and catch up. I had one which was organised by a friend of mine and we had afternoon tea at one of the big hotels in the city. It was great. The guys then came into town and we all went out for dinner together. This worked really well, we got to to the girlie thing and the guys met us after for a great night aswell.

DH and I aren't into the cutesy games at baby showers... so we just threw a BBQ get together at home. Very relaxed affair with lots of food and drinks. We mainly wanted to get everyone together to catch up before the big day...

Oh, and don't bother telling people 'no gifts' - we tried, and got heaps anyway! lol.

I had a baby shower 6 weeks before bubs was due...and lucky as she came 3 days later!!!! Prob should have made it a little earlier as i still ahdn't got around to washing everything! I hate silly games and stuff and i figured it was as much DH's baby as mine so we had a relaxed afternoon tea with lovely food and close family and friends - male and female - at our place. To make it 'babyish' we had pink and purple plates...we knew we were having a girl, cups, cutlery and baby shower serviettes and table scatters - that was it. We opened gifts in front of everyone before people left and i'd made a simple little 'thankyou' gift (a pink box with some chocs in it and a card saying thankyou) so that i wouldn't need to worry about sending out personalised ones afterwards.
    I'm glad we did it cause, apart from getting some fab pressies, it was a great afternoon where we got to enjoy the company of our friends and family before bubs came along

Thanks for the ideas everyone. It's comforting to see their is no "set way" of doing this! I don't mind having one but I do object to my friends throwing one for me - they have enough to do! I think a BBQ might be the way to go since it's summer. And totally informal since it's highly likely most guests will get called away being peak of the fire season and all. So a HUGE thanks and keep the ideas comming! (it really will take me 5 months to get organised! LOL!)

MG

Ooh good idea about having 'thanks for comingses' for the guests Rae.

MG, I'll tell you how I'm doing mine, and my reasons.
    No boys - because my DH is lovely and interested, but because I go to church, my friendship circle is quite large, and we wouldn't fit boys as well as girls in my house! Plus, he is a bit shy, so won't love it like I'm going to.

At my house, because I am 8 months and can't be stuffed going out anywhere!

My best friend is 'organising' it, she just got married, so I have taken care of invites, but made it look like they're from her. She wants to do games (because there will be people who don't know each other, I think games can make everyone feel like part of it), so she is organising that, and we will call some of my closer friends/family soon and ask if they'll bring some food. From my experience, people don't eat too much at these things.

A morning tea, because I hate weekend afternoon do's where it sorta ends up taking up the whole day. But that's just me.

Presents, because Anna's right, people bring them anyway, so we said on the invite that they're totally not required, it's more about catching up, but if they're stuck for ideas to call my best friend. And she'll work off a list, or suggest money.

Traditionally, someone else organises it for you, but that's because traditional baby showers are about 'showering' the mum to be with pressies! So that's like asking for pressies! But having a bbq, sounds fun, you could definitely organise that yourself.
    And if you mention presents (if you know guests will get stuff anyway, and you want to guide them so they don't waste money on things you won't need), then you organise it, but write the invite from a family member or close friend who is happy to be the rsvp person!

Sorry for the long post, mine's just over a week away, so I'm kinda in 'baby shower mode' Anyway, you've got plenty of time, and, by the sound of it, lots of people who are looking forward to it, so it will be awesome, whatever you decide to do!

melvan Guest

This is one of the things I'm dreading...I'm afraid MIL or a friend will plan one as a "surprise" with all the games and I'll just have to put up with it...

So I think very early on, as soon as we start telling people, we'll make it clear we just want to have an informal BBQ with no girly stuff