Thread: Baby showers for second time mummy's?

cutebloke04 Guest

Default Baby showers for second time mummy's?

I just wanted your opinions on having a baby shower for your second,third etc children? I was chatting to somebody and they said it was kinda greedy to have a baby shower if you already have had one for your first born. What do you all think? As i was planning on having another baby shower as it is a nice time to catch up with everybody possibly the last time before the birth of your baby.... Thanks in advance for replying be curious to read the replies!!

Well then I must be extra greedy. I had one for all 4 of my kids. My mum through the first, my gf the second, mum the thrid and forth

The first one, well I guess it's expected, the second just really a catch up, the 3rd - I'd had 7 years between bubs so I needed everything again, the 4th another catch up but also my only girl so I needed pink stuff

Who really cares what others think. If they don't like the idea then they don't nned to come , do they

Im having a shower for my 2nd i never had one for my first, I think you should be able to have one wheather its your first or 5th!! I personally love buying presents for babies so i wouldnt complain if i was invited to someone that is having one for their 2nd ,3rd etc.... as i would buy them something when it was born if they didnt have a shower!!

cutebloke04 Guest

Thank-you for your replies i will be having a shower for this pregnancy i don't think i am being greedy just w \anting to spend time with my close friends and families.. People don't have to come or buy a gift although like previous person said i LOVE buying things for peoples babies each to there own i guess hey...

I don't see a problem with it. I have only had one, but would have really liked to have had one this pregnancy being that I'm having a boy after 4 girls, but no one threw me one and I didn't ask. Would have been nice though.

mizzsocial Guest

I think its not being greedy at all!!!!

Another girl i know, she had a proper baby shower for her 1st child, and then for her 2nd baby, she had a "nappy" shower.. so guests brought nappies, instead of gifts.. coz she already had most of the baby things from her pervious daughter..

I think its a great idea, we had a proper one the first time around, but this time we are planning a BBQ in the park for our friends as a "celebration" for the baby and we are asking if they want to get something to pitch in a small amount of $$ so we can have a house cleaner in weekly for the first month or so....

Maybe if you just wanted to have people round but didnt neccisarily want them to bring baby stuff you could have a Book shower. This is where you just invite everyone around and ask them to bring their favourite book from childhood for the baby, or pick a book that the baby might like. ( I am rather partial to this idea- however I am junior primary teacher and in love with books, so that helps.)

Thats a great idea Ali, I love the sound of that!

I was going to have a shower for #2, but i was also told it is greedy and selfish so i decided against it, i was just going to do a BBQ so that i could catch up with friends.
    I was thrown a shower for #1 by my MIL and SIL

kirsty Guest

My gf has just had a baby shower for her #'s 2&3 (yep she's having twins) but she didn't have one for her first one

IMO the baby shower isn't about getting presents, it's about celebrating the fact that you are about to become a new mum - whether for the first or fifth time I don't think it matters. After the baby is born we're too tired to deal with too many visitors at once & the baby doesn't really need all that stimulation so why not celebrate before they are here??

I say go for it If people bring presents it's nice, but really who ever throws a party just thinking "oooh I'm going to get lots of presents at the party".....

Thats right Sarah, I had a proviso at my shower with Matilda that people were to bring 1 practical item costing no more than $15 if they felt they needed to do something. I didn't want to be bombarded with things we didn't need or want and I didn't want people to feel they HAD to do something big or at all.

cutebloke04 Guest

Thank you for all the replies, i also think i should be able to be proud of becoming a mummy for the second time and want to celebrate that with my friends and family... And i dont expect anything just for them to come.. Like the PP said i dont want to be bombarded with too many people in hospital or for the first few days with guests so before hand i can get it out of the way than deal with just a handful of people at once after the bub is born..... Hard trying toplease evrbody though isnt it LOL..

mummymeegs Guest

What is it about second pregnancies that makes people think that you dont need to be looked after and as spoilt as you may have been for the first? I am sick of people thinking that because I have done it before that I am some kind of expert baby making machine that doesn't need as much support as the first time!! :mad:

Of course you should have a baby shower!! You should be spoilt!! Hey, why not have a mummy shower too?? Get everybody to buy YOU gifts and give you back rubs and foot rubs!! HeHe!!

I want a baby shower this time round. My first sucked! I had to organise it & only my mum & 2 sisters turned up! I felt very loved, NOT!
    I like the idea of doing a nappy shower too. Actually I thought I was being rather original when I said that to my sister (who is also pg).
    My problem is, i don't have any friends that would organise one for me, nor would any of my sisters/mum etc. So I would have to organise it myself & I think thats when people start to think your being greedy. Although, I could make it look/sound as though DH is organising it for me. Plus everyone I would like to come this time I didn't know first time round so its not like they would have been twice for me.

Fiona, what about making it a baby shower for partners. You and your hubby could invite around your friends for a bbq or something and that way you could still get "your" afternoon that you so deserve.. Either that or make up your invites and put your Mum's name at the bottom

I had this issue come up a few months ago when the first of my friends was due with her second baby. We ended up having a "End of Pregnancy" luncheon...we also gave her gifts but it wasn't as full on as the first baby shower for her 2 years ago. Everyone really enjoyed themselves and it all worked out well. Then when my second friend to have a second baby was due just recently, we did the same thing...it was a little more like a 'real' baby shower but still very low key. I still think that the second, third, forth babies etc still should have a baby shower, it's more for the fun of getting together than anything else.
    Last edited by SSmiles; June 1st, 2006 at 08:16 AM.