Thread: Back Pain

Question Back Pain

Ok, im not pregnant (yet) but thought you lovely ladies in here might be able to help with this problem. Over Christmas we did a lot of driving so sitting in the car for hours. My back just started feeling a little sore. On boxing day we were out as well- more driving and back was getting a little sorer. Yesterday went xmas shopping and couldnt seem to lift the things I usually could. As the day went on the back pain has increased. So much so that DH even have me a couple of massages which never happens yet it was still painful. It even got to the stage where I just couldnt move from the couch, each way I moved pain shot through my body. I had a fairly good sleep, got up had a long (i know water restrictions) hot shower which helped and got my hot pack. All seemed well. At least I could move, ok well shuffle about, when Im standing up properly it hurts. Yet just before I couldnt move again. DH is at work and im home alone and its the last thing you want to happen. I just stayed there and gradually edged cushions under my back to get myself to a position where i could move. I cant spend the day standing up. Although I am sitting down at the moment :neutral: but just rubbed in half a tub of deep heat and took some neurofin (sp).

Oh mg god, if this is what back pain is like during pregnancy I will leave that checkbox unticked for pregnancy. I have true empathy for preggy women with it and even people in general with back issues.

What have you found that has worked well?

I've had a couple of bouts of backpain this pregnancy, but I've also had it when I wasn't pregnant, I'm not sure it's any different, it just hurts!! The thing I found that helps is not staying in a position for too long. Even though it's kind of uncomfortable to get up and down, just staying sitting doesn't seem to be a good idea in the long run for me. So I would go for a gentle walk, then lie down for a while, then get up, make a snack, then sit, iykwim, just to make sure I wasn't sort of seizing up.

Heat packs helped numb the pain. A painkiller will help you relax a bit so that your muscles can heal themselves - if you are in pain all the time then your body won't be able to heal, and it's exhausting. If you can afford to go to a physio s/he might be able to give you some gentle exercises.

Hope you start to feel better soon!

For a long-term solution, build up the core muscles in your body. I find yoga very good for my bulging disc.

Short-term - try lying on your back on the floor (make sure you have something sturdy to pull yourself up with nearby) and then bring your knees to your chest. Grab hold of your legs behind the knees, and start rocking gently on your back. This will help straighten out your back.

Short term #2 - still on the floor, lie on your tummy, and push yourself up onto your elbows. Keep your hips on the floor, and your shoulders down (don't let them hunch up). Stay like this for about 15mins if you can. Once that's an easy exercise (usually a couple of weeks at least) then do it daily for 5 mins at a hit.

But in all seriousness, go to a physio for proper exercises. These ones should give you some short-term relief.

Hi,

I am feeling for you - that must be so bad!!

The one thing I have found with my pregnancy so far is the back pain is like a dull ache that hangs around but (so far) doesn't develop into sharp pains or complete lack of mobility. From what you are describing it sounds to me like your alignment is out or you have a pinched nerve somewhere in your back (which I also know can be very painful!).

If I were you and it continues I would see a GP and/or a qualified Massage therapist. I get a massage every month as I have always suffered with alignment probs and this really keeps me feeling good. Just a thought.....

Hope it gets better

Awwww Ss - no need to go out in sympathy for us hon! You can kick me later!

Seriously, hot packs and those stretches mentioned by Kaz will help. If you do them regularly they will help stretch those its out getting rid of the tension and stiffness. Get DH to keep up with the massage too.....
    Oh yeah - I found that those stretches worked best after I had had a massage or had a hot pack (or bath) to relax the muscles....

Love MG

Yeah im just the bestest friend you could have, I even have the sympathy back pains for you.
    The hot packs have made me feel hot so I cranked the air con and the cats are looking at me like im a freak and they have nicked off to the front room as it got too cold here. So you can imagine how sore it is and I didnt even have to ask for the massages I was told that i was getting them.

Unless you are going to pull me out the bath when i get stuck, then i will have to wait until DH gets home.

Thanks for the advice Sasha, Kaz and Bella. I had a nap and was able to move around and it seemed to help. Stretch my legs out and woke up curled up so it must be getting a little better. Usually I only get a sore back every so often.