Thread: Is it bad to get the flu if you're pregnant?

Default Is it bad to get the flu if you're pregnant?

DH has the flu pretty bad and normally I don't think twice about it since he gets it every couple months and I almost never get it even if I kiss him or share drinks with him. I heard that in pregnancy women have a decreased immune system so it's probably more likely I'll catch it. Will it affect the baby at all or just me? I'm fine with not taking any drugs as I usually don't anyway.

If you do happen to catch the flu, the baby should be fine, but be careful of running a high temp or becomming dehydrated. Panadol is safe to take during pg, so you should be able to control any fever with that.

Hi,

I have just gotten over a really bad flu about 3 wks ago now.

I had it extremely bad and i was admitted to hospital on the spot when i went to my clinic appt with my OB. I was suffering bad dehydration, despite drinking heaps and i ended up with an ear infection and a lung infection with fluid on my lungs.

I was put on two different antibiotics, nebulisers and had 5 litres of fluid through a drip while i was in hospital.

The baby was fine throughout all this. Getting the flu is only dangerous to the baby if you are about to deliver and you still have it as you can then give it to the baby. Otherwise its you that ends up worse for wear. That is what i was told by more that one dr while i was in hospital.

I hope you can manage to avoid this flu so you dont get sick.

I got flu when pregnant and the doc advised me to get flu vaccine as I was only about 6 weeks. So after I recovered I did, and luckily too because DD had it 3 times during winter. Highly recommended. xo

xox_jessie_xox Guest

i have the flu atm, just seen my doc today...he said everything should be fine just get lots of rest and what my temp make sure it doesnt get high as it can bring on labour.

Fire Fly Guest

I to got quiet sick with both my kids. I was just told to relax and keep drinking. Bubs were fine.
    Yes i agree it knocks you immunity around because your body is concertrating on your bub and not so much you. Just try to eat as healthy as you can and drink lots of water like the others have said. You should be drinking lots anyway regardless if your sick or not. Keeps things working.

Ive had the flu 3 times this pregnancy.. the last at 36 weeks was the worst bout i had where i had trouble breathing. Dr can give you antibiotics if its really bad but it does take longer than usual to get over it.. so id probably steer clear of it if i were you.