Thread: Bad morning sickness

Default Bad morning sickness

hey everyone,

so just to catch u up i will be approx 6 weeks tomorrow an im having the worst morning sickness all day long for around a week now but have only thrown up for a whole day once in the week. Im finding it horrible an havent left the house as i dnt feel up for it so of course havent been to the GP.i have my first ultrasound in the morning an should be excited but im not because i know im not going to feel well . think i will take my bucket at lay down on the seats an DP lap while waiting to be seen.any suggestions would be wonderful thanks kindly
    ...xoxox PLEASE HELP

Last edited by ebsta; July 5th, 2010 at 05:26 PM.

ginger beer works for me

im 15 weeks and still got the lump in the throat and the food wont go down.

havent been throwing up but have come extremely close!

get into the ginger beer!

Hi Hun,

I'm 16 weeks and still sick 24/7, I have tried sea bands, Ginger everything, maxolon and nothing works for me
    I hope it eases soon for you, one consolation is that they say if you experience morning sickness then it means you have a healthy pregnancy. It usually eases for most ppl around 12 weeks so heres hoping yours eases soon, good luck with your scan, seeing your little heartbeat will cheer you up xo

I had / am having the worst MS of all time. Between weeks 7-10 I was pretty much bed bound. OB gave me Zofran and seriously it saved my life (and a possible hospital admission). Its a little pricy but I cut the tablets into quarters / half and find its all I need. Good luck babes - nothing worse than feeling awful all the time.

Lived on Zofran wafers for the first 20 weeks of my pregnancy, I hated taking any kind of drug in my pregnancy but unfortunately it was that or who knows what! I honestly believe if I wasnt on it I would have ended up severley in trouble from my kidneys shutting down from dehydration, throwing up 12 times a day was not fun. It didnt stop me but it eased the throwing up a little and let some fluid stay in. Perhaps try to get a script for that if you can. Peeled green apples also help ease the tummy. being so sick takes the beauty of growing your little one hun, but hang in there it will get better, even if it only eases slightly.

What is Zofran?? The only thing I was presribed last time was Maxalon, and that was even after being admitted to Hospital 4 or 5 times with dehydration...hmmm, will have to ask my GP.

Faithful Mumma, its a 'newer' drug and is still a catergory B1 drug (from memory), I had to really push to get it from a local GP. It comes in wafer form so you put it under your tongue and it dissolves, great cause if I was putting a tablet in mouth my mouth it sent me back down the toilet!
    It name is Zofran Zydis Wafers (ondansetron). I was finally given that as I went slightly loppy and somewhat paraletic on Maxalon. If maxalon doesnt help you then this might be your answer. HTH

This is from a lay person and not medical trained but have just watched someone go through a very sickly pregnancy for nine whole months.

Zofran is a drug used for chemo patients in particular to help with the vomitting etc that their treatments can cause. Much more affective/powerful than Maxalon. However it is quite expensive - from memory about $125 a box for the wafers (10 in a box from memory) and although it can be prescribed on PBS and thus so much cheaper for chemo patients not so for pregnancy. From my understanding the average doc doesn't prescribe it unless you go in asking and I think it is used more for those with hyperemesis and similar level of symptoms (and thus the power vomitting and constant dehydration mentioned by some posts) rather than those who just vomit on and off for a few weeks or who feel the constant nausea which although terribly draining and disabling is not likely to impact the mother and thus the baby health in the way the constant dehydration of hyperemesis and the similar level of symptoms can.

Please don't think I'm trying to discount your feelings ebsta - I'm certainly not - My pregnancies have been similar to yours with the occassional vomit but the constant nausea confining you to horizontal as much as possible just wanted to explain my understandings of the conditions of those who get prescribed Zofran and why if you present to a GP you may not find them willing at this stage to hand it out to you. For one pregnancy ginger ale helped for a while. Constant small snacks of salty foods helped. I often felt fine while eating but once digested awful again consequently I ate constantly and regularly. Some people swear by the Blackmores morning sickness tablets which I think have vitamin B and ginger - didn't work for me but me and excess vitamin B aren't friendly at the best of times. Hopefully for you it will only last until around the 12 week mark. Another thing was that the swallowing all the excess saliva made me iller so I tried to spit it out rather than swallowing in those early weeks. You may find a GP will happily give you Maxalon if the nausea is incermountable - it didn't work for me. It does when I have a stomach bug to stop the vomiting but it didn't stop the nausea that came with Morning sickness.

Anyway have to attend to the boys - hopefully things settle quickly for you and you find things to help ease the nausea and it doesn't progress into the constant vomitting that others have mentioned.

[QUOTE=jaspen;2380119]
    Zofran is a drug used for chemo patients in particular to help with the vomitting etc that their treatments can cause. Much more affective/powerful than Maxalon. However it is quite expensive - from memory about $125 a box for the wafers (10 in a box from memory) and although it can be prescribed on PBS and thus so much cheaper for chemo patients not so for pregnancy. From my understanding the average doc doesn't prescribe it unless you go in asking and I think it is used more for those with hyperemesis and similar level of symptoms (and thus the power vomitting and constant dehydration mentioned by some posts) rather than those who just vomit on and off for a few weeks or who feel the constant nausea which although terribly draining and disabling is not likely to impact the mother and thus the baby health in the way the constant dehydration of hyperemesis and the similar level of symptoms can.

You said it much better then I tried to! The reason I had to push for it was my IVF clinic told me to get that and living in 'hicksville' they had no stinking clue about new and better treatments. Yep it is incredibly expensive, I spent over $3000 on it

I'm paying $33 for a pack of 4 tablets - I cut them into quarters and usually end up taking about a 1/2 tablet a day. Its expensive but worth every cent.