Thread: Bassinette VS Cradle??

Default Bassinette VS Cradle??

We want to have bubs in our room for the first few months and are not sure if we should get a bassinette or a wooden cradle? There are no safety standards for either of these - just general SIDS guidelines so just wondering if anyone can recommend one over the other??? Thanks in advance!

i had bassinettes for my boys, and found they grew out of them quite quickly (they were big baby's though) i bought a cradle for my daughter, and i loved it. she loved being genty rocked to sleep, and i could do that from bed when she wouldnt settle!!

Hi Tan, We have a cradle that friends passed on to us. I'm hoping it'll last for Natalie as long as it did for their two boys - around 5-6 months. It is a good size and like Simone, I use the rocking to settle Natalie sometimes.

I had a wooden cradle with Jasmyn, but she was only in it for 6 weeks, then we put her in her cot in her own room. We all slept better after that! I kept waking her up to check on her (so paranoid!) and I couldn't sleep properly with her snuffling! For this one, we are borrowing a bassinet, but I think I will also use it down stairs in the early weeks, so that I don't have to keep running up the stairs ever time the baby wakes.

We had a bassinette for both girls. Like the others have said, newborns are rather noisy sleepers, so after first 6wks they were outta our room and into their own. Sophie stayed in her bassinette till about 10wks - dont spend a fortune on them, they grow so fastt and will be in their cot b4 u know it !!!!

Tammy05 Guest

I loved the cradle, you can gently rock them to sleep and still be half asleep yourself!
    We borrowed a cradle and if you want one would recommend ebay or the paper. People have only used them once of twice and then they have finished with them and at half to less the cost!!

Goodluck! Tammy

Thanks all for your recommendations!! Looks like we will go with an ebay cradle!!

Another option for you might be to get a hammock.
    I have an amby baby and Imran is still in it for his daytime naps at 10 months (he co-sleeps at night).
    You can bounce it with a toe so you can sit down with a book and relax while you put bubs to sleep.
    If you just google amby baby it should be easy to find.
    They come up on ebay sometimes.

Thanks heaps- will check them out too!

We used the pram basinette for the first 3.5 months, it started in our room beside the bed but after a week of no sleep for us we put Riley just outside our bedroom door and shut the door a bit... He outgrew the basinette quickly though so he's now in the cot... I must admit, I loved having him in the basinette...it was so easy to put him wherever and rock him to sleep (he had bad reflux so it wasn't easy).