Thread: Being part of a study/trial during pregnancy.

Default Being part of a study/trial during pregnancy.

Hi guys,

I saw an add in Melbourne Child to be part of a study/trial whilst pregnant, and just wanted to see if anyone else had done one, or is doing this one.

It is taking people with a history of allergies, eczema, asthma etc from either parent, giving the mother a high dose of probiotics from 36 weeks onwards, and looking to see if there is reduced incidents of eczema in the baby.

It is based on a study paper from somewhere (have the info, just need to read it all)... They will look at the baby for 12 months after birth and do a skin ***** test at 12 months.

I have severe eczema, and would do anything to avoid my kids having what i have... Although we didn't give wheat or dairy until 12 months and DS has no signs (but then again i didn't really get it until i was 10 or so, and it just gets worse every year).

Does anyone know about the safety of high amounts of probiotics in pregnancy? Has anyone else participated in a study or drug trial? What concerns did you have? Did u regret it?

I am planning on speaking to my obs and dermo about it, but just thought i would see if anyone had any ideas about it...

I don't want to put my baby at risk, and i just worry 10 years from now they might say, 'oops, we were wrong, don't do that in pregnancy'.

It is being run through the RCH, Melbourne.

TIA.

Yael, I'm not sure about synthetic probiotics, but with the In-Liven, which is organic, you can take up to the 4 teaspoons a day, I don't think there is a limit kwim? I think Kelly even said once that it is like telling someone not to eat brocoli, kwim? Chances are, if you are part of a study, that you may not even be in the group who takes the probiotics, but just the placebo.

It is a double blind study, so yes, i could get the placebo

But she did say it was more concentrated than anything that is avaliable commerically, and even if you are eating veggies, there are limits (i.e. eat only carrots etc and you get a build of carotene pigmanet in your skin).. and Alan said pure licorice extract in higher amounts can be linked to birth defects... So just cos its natural doesn't make is safe in high quanitites..

Thats what worries me...

Hi Yael
    I can understand that you would want to do what you can to avoid exzema for your little one... and without trials it would be hard for them to make significant progess wouldnt it???
    I think you should ask your OB and Dermatologist about it and go with their recommendation - agree with you that even 'natural' things can be problematic so good to get their opinion and also to be informed fully yourself so you dont have any regrets down the track.
    Good luck with it.

Yael,

I took In-Liven from around 20 weeks pg.........it is mighty strong on the levels of probiotics.....I took it to eliminate any candida risk from myself, in the hope that I could avoid any candida/thrush issues when Lexie was born, and it worked.......no thrush for either of us at all.

I asked my OB before taking it and he checked the label out adn came abck to me saying he saw no reason for concern at all.

I asked my paediatrician about the high levels, and he suggested it would also possibly assist in minimising the occurance of excema. Touch wood, Lexie is now over 7 months, has started solids, and shows no signs at all of any excema (by this age, Charlie's face was COVERED in excema, as was his chest..........)

So if you are uncomfortable with the idea of the study, In-Liven would be an alternative well worth considering?

Yes I would participate in a study of this kind, but I would be absolutely rigourous in doing my background reading and understanding EXACTLY what the tested item is. They should be able to supply you with literature that supports the methodology of the study which should address issues of safety and likely efficacy.

The other thing you'd want to consider Yael, is that if you're wanting to take probiotics to reduce that risk of your bub having eczema, then there's a chance you might not be taking anything at all if you're part of the control group.
    If you weren't going to take probiotics anyway though, I'd consider it, after research - sounds interesting!

I had severe excema as a child (Thankfully I have outgrown it & almost my Asthma).
    Neither of our kids have any food allergies, or signs of excema (I had it as a baby), nor any signs of Asthma, which I wasw also born with...

Good Luck in your decision..