Thread: Being refused an ultrasound

Default Being refused an ultrasound

Not sure where to put this but im sure here is fine.

When i was about 38-39 weeks pregnant with Lily, i asked for a referal for a scan from my GP(also my carer) because i was concerned about how big she would be and how small my frame is. I didnt want her getting stuck and having a c/s or something going terribly wrong etc etc. The answer i got was 'no you won't need one' so i asked well what if she's too big for me, i got 'well you'll find that out in labor'. Now for one, to me that isnt a very professional answer and two, can she refuse like that?

My fears where right, i went a week overdue, she was 9lb 7oz, i needed vacuum extraction, she had sholder dystocia, i had a bad tear and a very traumatic birth. Now i feel, that all this could have been avoided. I know growth scans can be way out, but at least i needed some idea. And done something about it, so id avoid all of the troubles i had.

Next time, i'll be asking for a late scan and keep asking until i get one. Surely they won't refuse me after all that ive been through?

Tegan, I was told by my GP and OB that if you request a u/s they really can't refuse you. Next time just let them know your history and don't take no for an answer!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Tegan, Sholder Dystocia is a position thing. The whole 'pelvis too small' thing is very overdiagnosed and unless you have a heredetary issue or damage to your pelvis, there is no reason why that baby can't fit through your pelvis. What could have helped is a more active, upright labour and optimal foetal positioning techniques. Babies twist and turn in our pelvises to make best use of the space there, but sometimes we just need to do things which help maximise that pelvic space, for example, squatting to push can give you 30% more pelvic space. I know women who have birthed 10-11lb babies without tearing. It's not common to have a small pelvis that it too small to birth babies - it's usually position. Getting on a bed / lying down during labour apart from small rests is one of the worst things you can do for labour progress, tearing etc.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

I was told they won't do a scan passed 20 weeks unless something is wrong. Not sure how private OB's works but i know it's hard to get another one going public.

I had extra u/s with Kimberley and Alexander but only because of having pre-eclampsia and Alexander not moving much as they have to check the baby is still growing.

abs Guest

Private OB's certainly do do additional's - whether its cause they get a kick-back ??

I know for a fact that some doctors get kickbacks from say requesting additional bloodwork tests etc from pathology labs blah blah

Anyway, we saw our Private Ob and are having a 30 & 36week scan

Sorry but why would they give extra u/s for PE?

Kelly, i really do agree with this. The reason i did have vacuum extraction though was because i was pushing for 1.5 hours and she wasn't moving and after i'd push she'd go back up again because her head was stuck under my pubic bone.

I actually dont know what would have been done. I have a history of 9lb'ers or more. I was just scared i spose. But it really just made me angry that she refused like that. I just didnt think they could do that, thats all.

I was advised to have a c/section next time. I have actually only made the descion recetly, to just go with the flow next time and see what happens. I spose i just want the growth scan, so if it says its going to be bigger(even if its wrong) I'll be prepared to have a bit of work ahead of me, iykwim? I was never considering to have a c/s. I reckon they shouldnt have them unless for serious medical reasons.

Tegan they do an u/s if you have PE because the baby can stop growing and they need to know what is going on so they can get the baby out in time. I think it's all to do with the blood flow.

Alan would be the best to answer the question why they do one if you have PE.

I had two late scans with DS due to PE. They were done about 5 days apart (the 2nd the day i was induced) and from what i understood was to see bubs development/growth and maturity for the outside world. He was born at 5pd 9 oz at 37 weeks, so i guess it may also have to do with the baby still growing or not?!?

As for checking bubs growth for larger size babys, my SIL is doing just that. She requested from her Midwife a scan at about 36 weeks to check on size as she is struggling now at alsomt 32 weeks to "function" her belly is that big. (Mind you she is normally a size 6-8 and her belly looks like it is about to bust). She was told that only the dr can authorize a late scan so she has her next appointment with him. She does also have a back injury though and her DD was just on 8pd (traumatic labour/delivery for both of them), so i think she just wants to check approx size to prepare for either another natural birth or possible induction to prevent a reoccurance. And from all indications she has been told it should be ok.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

My private ob is not keen to refer me for another scan, even though I want one. He has compromised by saying we'll talk about it again when I see him at 29 weeks, but I suspect he will try to talk me out of it. He is quite conservative and also, aside from the bub measuring 3 weeks ahead in size on my last u/s, I am healthy, my bp is low and there is no sugar in my urine.

He thinks that unless there is cause to think bub's growth is getting out of hand, we, too will find out at labour whether my body can take it. In view of the fact that I want to try to deliver naturally, I see his point, as no scan saying that baby is big would stop me from trying a natural birth anyway.

I do trust him and believe he will do what's best for me and bub, and perhaps this is a metter of trust for you, Tegan. If you think that you're not being handled in a way that gives you confidence in your care-giver, you need to make this known to her/him.

Good luck.

Love
    sushee

Tegan you can turn a negative birth experience into a postive thing by preparing yourself next time, with the benefit of knowing what labour is like. I am not an expert, my babies were both average 7 pounders, but I don't think you should focus too much on the size of the baby. Complications can happen no matter what size the baby is. Like Kelly said look into active birth and optimal foetal positioning. If you want a late ultrasound however I agree with you that the doctor shouldn't refuse to give a referral, although in public hospitals they will refuse to do one unless there is a good reason for concern.

Bon

My OB has a u/s machine in his office and in the last few weeks he checks the fluid levels every visit. Just to be on the safe side I guess. He doesn't charge extra for that.

I got the referral for an extra u/s from my GP for m/c. It was $93 (but i think they are normally $108??) and because I had clinical notes on the bottom (bleeding and pregnant) I got my medicare rebate of $50odd.
    I should imagine if you are prepared to pay for one, and not get all of it back, your GP should be able to refer you. It may be more if its later in pregnancy.
    Its a crappy way to handle it - but this is the way the public system is I guess.

Fi