Thread: berocca ?

Default berocca ?

just wondering if anyone knows if it is ok to have a berocca when pg im talking one ... not like everyday i cant see anything on the pack saying dont but yeah just thought i might ask ????

Jess, are you taking the Berocca for a general pick me up? I don't want to sound like a broken record, but you should really give the In-Liven a try, it is completely organic and safe to take during pg and BF, and it really does make you feel wonderful. We wouldn't rave about it so much if it didn't work.

lol sherie Thanks i probably give it a go it does sound fantastic i just happened to notice a bottle of berocca on the window sil and i had been feeling really flat - been throwing up all day and had a headache i just thought it might be ok to have one before work !

I am just wondering for those taking In-Liven, do you still take other supps for folate etc?? (sorry don't know much about In-Liven, just reading about it now)...

Ta..

Re the Berocca: before I got onto In-Liven I was taking a Berocca daily....as a pick me up in the afternoon...I did check with my OB and he said it was fine.

In-Liven is heaps better though!

In terms of Folate, I would continue to take that as well Lee.......

Thanks Lucy.

I always wondered about taking berocca..good question faeriegirl!
    Lucy, would you just take a straight folate supp and take In-Liven as well..what I mean is at the moment I take a combination formula (Blackmores BF and preg)..so I guess I would stop that and get just a folate one and In-Liven??
    Why is it so good????!! I am very curious!

Ta..

Lee, if I was you I would contrinue to take the Blackmores if that has the folate requirement, in addition to In-Liven. That is what I did through my recent pregnancy.

I could rave on about In_liven for ever....it is a food supplement. There is a heap of info and chat HERE and HERE all about it!

I wouldn't stop the Blackmores Preg&BF tablets either. They contain a good dose of Omega-3 fatty acids, and more importantly, Iodine, which is recommended for pregnant women particularly in Iodine deficient areas of Australia. If you are iodine deficient it affects the baby's mental development.

You can just use iodised table salt in cooking to take care of the iodine too. I would check with your doctor about an acutal iodine deficiency.

I wonder though if you get enough iodine just from a bit of table salt - I looked on our "Saxa" brand iodised salt and you'd have to eat (from memory) 6 grams to get the recommended iodine dose for a pregnant woman which is a lot of salt. Maybe different brands of iodised salt have different amounts. Pregnant women need a lot more iodine than usual because of significantly increased iodine loss via the kidneys due to pregnancy changes.

According to the ABC link below, "at least 50 per cent of pregnant women in Australia have inadequate iodine intakes, putting their babies at risk of IDD." Maybe thats a bit high, and the actual risk from mild iodine deficient might be all of 1 or 2 IQ points according to the second link which isn't much, but still... why take the chance...

There's been studies in australia showing that there has been an increase of slight to moderate iodine deficiency in some areas. This is due to a fall in the use of iodized salt and there used to be more iodine in milk because the solution they used to clean milk vats or something had iodine in it, wheras most don't any more.

If you have or have had thyroid problems you should check it out with your doctor first though...

Check out the ABC site in relation to links

Quote Originally Posted by Sherie View Post
    You can just use iodised table salt in cooking to take care of the iodine too. I would check with your doctor about an acutal iodine deficiency.
    Last edited by christy; September 27th, 2006 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Please read FAQ's in relation to links in posts Thanks

You are right about the postive contamination of milk - Iodine used to be used to clean the lines the milk went through but now it isn't. So there used to be a bit getting into the milk itself and once upon a time every Australian school child got their milk at lunch times. There are few salt products on the market that contain iodine. If you go into any supermarket, there are only 1, maybe 2 packets that contain iodine these days.

Yeh and the funny thing is most of the fancy and expensive salts aren't iodised... Milk and fish are other sources though.

I just did a bit more reading about it, the Australian Thyroid Foundation website has some information about it, as does the Australian Centre for Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorders site - they are the group who did the study in '03-04 into deficiency in Australia. There's some interesting stuff in their brochure about the National Iodine Nutrition Study.

Sad to see in some countries (eg Tibet) its a really serious problem (it causes cretinism) that can be solved so cheaply by iodizing their salt...

Many countries require all salt to be iodized - unfortunately not so in Australia ... yet ...

I found this pearler on the babycentre website: "WHO rates the average Australian as having a mild iodine deficiency problem." !!?
    Last edited by jja; September 27th, 2006 at 06:02 PM.

i think sea weed is high in iodine correct me anyone if im wrong but i am pretty sure kelp flakes ( you can buy them dry at health food shops) arent as awfull as they sound if you put them in soup and nori that you use making nori rolls should also have iodine in it
    or get sea lettuce from clean beaches and sit it near the fire to dry untill it is crispy if you keep it in an airtight container you can crumble it over food and it just tasted like salt !

... maybe im the only weird person that eats seaweed

Nah Jess I love seaweed... I have sushi (vego ones) at least once a week while pregnant & I eat the seaweed crackers all the time. I also put seaweed in our udon soup.