Thread: Best time for a dating scan?

Default Best time for a dating scan?

I had my dr appointment today to make it "all official"

My dr has given me a referral for a dating scan, I am sure of the date of LMP but she's given me a referral anyway. However she recommended that I wait until I am 10 weeks as the heart beat may not be detected before then, which will cause me un-needed panic (my dr is a lovely lady and I believe she's only given me the dating scan so I can see all is ok)

So, I know the earlier the better in terms of accurracy of dates, however I seem to recall having a scan with DS at around 7 weeks and we saw the heartbeat flicker really well. Is it neccessary to wait until 10 weeks?

Thanks

10 wks? Pfft ;-)

I saw DS at 5 wks + 6 days - with a HB. And this time around I was 6 wks + 2 days - once again, that low boy type HB was there

I think I read on BB in the last few weeks the best time to get the dating scan is between 6-8 wks as it is most accurate during those times. But if you're sure on the dates then that should be such an issue I guess. Nothing wrong with cross checking though (you could end up in my belly buddy group ;-))!!

The heart beat can be seen waaaaay earlier than 10 weeks. I had a scan at 6w1d and there it was flickering away at me!!

Apparently the best time for a dating scan is 7 weeks.

Good luck.
    Sue xx

10 weeks??? mose well wait for the 12 week one lol

i got mine done at 6w5d and had a lovely hb of 122!

Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.

I had mine at what we thought was 7w 1d and i saw a hb at what was infact 5w 4d.

Quote Originally Posted by leesa View Post
    But if you're sure on the dates then that should be such an issue I guess. Nothing wrong with cross checking though (you could end up in my belly buddy group ;-))!!
    I wish babe

Quote Originally Posted by Ahurani View Post
    10 weeks??? mose well wait for the 12 week one lol
    That's exactly what I thought!

I think I may book in for 2 weeks time, I'll be 8 weeks then and will see a hb for sure by the sounds of it!

Thanks everyone for your replies xxx

I had a dating scan with this pregnancy at 6 weeks 5 days. It changed my dates. I then had my NT scan last week where bubs was measuring my original due date size. The sonographer asked if my dating scan was done internal or external (it was external) and he said at that stage its not a very accurate reading if its done externally as bubs is so small. He said the NT scan (where i was 12 weeks) was more accurate than the 6 weeks 5 days one. So.. going off what he said, i would agree that 10 weeks is better.

Best of luck!